Sony or Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LULA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi !!

I'm thinking of getting a small camera with 7 or 8 MP, I saw the Sony P200 and the Olympus SP-350 which I think are the better ones (are they?) .

I also saw the Olympus Sp-320,c-7070 and the canon coolpix P3;P1

If someone could give me some advice i'd apreciate.

Thanks

The SP-350, Canon A620, and Fuji E900 seem like the most popular right now. I'd choose the E900 but people vary. There are tons of threads about these cameras if you do a search.

Chris

This is a tricky one. The SP-350 is one of very few cameras to have a flash hot shoe. If you plan to use an external strobe, it would be the best choice. My own plans are to do filter photography (magic-filters) so I went with an Olympus SP-310. It was $209 at Amazon.

The Sony P-200 is also a good choice. It is faster than the Olympus cameras and the focusing is very good. My choice to go for the Olympus was based on it having RAW capture.

go with the olympus sp350..has the hot shoe so put it in a ikelite housing and use ike strobes-use ike sync cord and you have ttl capabilities..makes exposures a lot easier..

go with the olympus sp350..has the hot shoe so put it in a ikelite housing and use ike strobes-use ike sync cord and you have ttl capabilities..makes exposures a lot easier..

Sorry but what is the hot shoe?? I do not know that term.Is the Ikelite housing better than the olympus PT-030?

Sorry but what is the hot shoe?? I do not know that term.
The Hot shoe is the little square connection on the top of the camera to allow you to plug external Flashes and Strobes into the camera, this will then turn off the internal flash in the camera and fire only the External Strobes.

Is the Ikelite housing better than the olympus PT-030?
Yes.

Cheers
Chris

LULA:
Sorry but what is the hot shoe?? I do not know that term.Is the Ikelite housing better than the olympus PT-030?
hot shoe is on top of camera where you can plug in a cable that goes to housing to a fitting outside of housing where you plug in strobe..ikelite housing much more durable than oly housing and it can do ttl exposures,the oly housing cannot..I also suggest to take a photo speciality course ,I teach it for free when someone purchases housing and strobe from us..otherwise its $250. taught it for 2 people on my recent costa rica trip(last week) and their images improved dramatically from their last 2 trips to cayman and bonaire.the conditions in costa rica were not the easiest to work with either with limited(20/25') visibility..

Good question, I was torn between the Sony W7 and Canon A620, but after seeing the Oly SP350 I am leaning that direction now primairly because this camera has 3 underwater settings, one of which is a macro.

Back
Top Bottom