Sony or Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But can I use an external flash with the Olympus housing?

You can use an external strobe (flash) with any of the popular housings , including the Olympus .

You really need to think long and hard about how far you want to go with your UW photography . If you start out cheap and then decide you want hard wired TTL , macro and wide angle lenses you could end up spending more money than necessary , as I did .

Look at my signature , see how much stuff I have !!! If I had bought an Ikelite housing and strobe I could have saved plenty of money in the long run .

My advice is ask more questions to give folk around here a chance to give you more advice before rushing in to buy an UW camera .

The Fuji E-900 and Oly SP-350 seem to be the cameras of choice at the moment .

And now a question - where did you see the 7070 advertised ? - I'm looking for another one .............

hi...
post error.
delete me.

MoonWrasse:
I shoot with a Sony P100 and really like it.
However I'd avoid the P200 as Sony seems to have gone back to being stupid :(

Anything specific you could share? I'm thinking of getting the P200 as my first dive camera in a couple days.

THANKS<

LULA:
I am just starting out with my SP-350 in the PT-030 housing, so I am not the most knowledgeable person here. However, my understanding is that you have 3 basic options. Going all Olympus, you can get one of their PFL underwater housings for their normal FL flashes. I believe the PFL cases come with all the cables necessary to run the flash in TTL mode and the PT-030 already has the bulkhead connector installed. The only downside is the flexibility and power of the flash for underwater use. The second option is what I am doing since I have a "leftover" Nikonos SB105 from my film days. Reef carries the HW replacement bulkheads for the PT-030 housing. This will convert the SP-350's TTL hotshoe signals to a Nikonos compatible iTTL connector. Then you can connect almost any flash that is Nikonos iTTL compatible. A third option is to use a flash that can be optically triggered and/or run in slave TTL mode. So, the short answer is yes, you have alot of external flash options.

LULA:
Here's another TTL option for the SP-350

These pics were all taken using the above setup (using an OLY 5060, the topside pics are with the the SP-350). I tested the setup with my SP-350 and it works great, just haven't gotten it wet yet. Except for cropping and converting to JPEG, the above pics are straight out of the camera... no Photoshop work done (yet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom