Sony RX100 + Filter Low Light Performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skating101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am intending on purchasing the Sony RX100 VA camera for underwater videography.

The Sony cameras have a maximum custom white balance of 9900K which leads to imperfect white balance. Most divers use filters to compensate for this shortfall. My question is how much of an effect do these filters have on the low light performance of the camera as it only has a 1" sensor?

I have read in other guides that the filters do between 1 to 1 1/2 stops of light reduction. In real world applications has anyone found these filters to significantly effect the low light performance of the RX100? With the filter what is the most common ISO setting for underwater filming?

I intend to use lights for close range/macro filming however lights are ineffective for medium range/large/skittish subjects.

Any advice is appreciated.

I do not use a filter, and for what I do, I find the lights and the post production correction enough, even with the white balance you cannot add colore where there's none.
On the 9900K... I heard that it's a limit only if you set it manually, but if you use the white balance "on key" feature (to adjust the white balance using a white spot) it goes above that range, it would eventually return the error, but it'll still save the WB above 10K. I yet have to test this. I own a RX100M5.

Back
Top Bottom