sony rx100 macro setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Sony RX100, an old camera now, but was wondering if anyone could tell me how close you can get using your zoom to get a macro shot. My understanding is that the macro function is automatic with the camera so you just get close/zoom in and take your shot. I don't have a close-up lense, but want to take some pics of small animals on my next dive trip. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
RX100 focuses to 5cm, which is quite good.
It focuses to 5cm at its wide angle setting, when it is zoomed to a usable focal length for macro, its close focus distance is 30cm.

@okiediver1961 I don't think so. I believe the v has the same focus distances (5cm - 30cm) as the rx100 and ii, but it has less zoom (70mm vs 100mm) so you can't get any closer and the fov will be larger.

I believe that without diopters (maybe stacked) the v won't do exceedingly well at macro. Even the rx100 and ii weren't known for being superb without a diopter but they have a better lens generally speaking (28-100) than the latest versions.

Thanks Skeptic! I did go ahead and buy the RX100 V. I have 30 days to decide it its what I want. I will say that I am very happy so far with shooting up close, even cropped I am getting fantastic clear shots. The video performance in regards to focusing is really good as well. Think Ill keep it LOL!

I agree, even after cropping the quality from the rx100 is excellent. I did my first dives with my rx100 mk2 this past weekend and although it's going to take getting used to the longer focus distance compared to my tg-4 when I cropped down dramatically on one blenny shot the clarity was still excellent. With a good macro lens I imagine all the rx100s would do superbly.

Macro doesn't seem to be the RX100's strong suit. If you really want to concentrate on macro, there might be a better option out there.

Early generation Rx100s were slightly better at macro. Rx100 versions I and II had zoom lenses that went to 37mn (100mm in 35mm camera terms) whereas subsequent models only went to 26mm (70mm equivalent). It's the telephoto capability that provides the magnification, generally, and the diopter provides the ability to focus closely (at the expense of being able to focus far). Obviously, being able to focus closer let's you get the camera closer and therefore make the subject larger, so both the zoomed focal length and the diopter affect macro performance, but diopters aren't camera-dependent. So, any camera can get close enough to use the telephoto capability the camera has, but it's the telephoto capability (or lack thereof) that's the real differentiator in effective magnification and working distance. Shorter innate close focus ability on the long end of the zoom range let's you use weaker diopters, with potentially less adverse effect on image quality.

Being able to zoom to 100mm instead of 70mm does help, but it's not an enormous bump. Moreover, later models have better glass in the sense of general image quality across the available zoom range, the lens is also brighter (doesn't help macro, but it helps otherwise), the later sensors have better low light performance and dynamic range, they're faster (both in frames per second and general responsiveness), have better video, and (what is to me *huuugely* important) later models have Auto ISO minimum shutter speed function. That's a lot to give up for slightly better macro, IMO.

Getting 1:1 on an Rx100 probably won't be easy. I don't know exactly, but you'll probably need something like a +10 diopter (difficult to use, but you've got a huge dive count, so maybe not for you), and a subject willing to let you really get in its face. 1:2 and crop from there seems more achievable for us mortals. Fortunately, Sony makes great sensors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom