Sony RX100 - original

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All.

I'm still shooting a RX100 original vintage M1. I'm going got keep it until it or the housing dies! As such I have a 67mm thread on it. I want to get a wide angle that is compatible with this and future RX100s (I'll get the same, I love it) when the current one either floods or dies.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
maat1976

I use a UWL-04 on my RX100 II. I also had a Fix UWL-28M52, which is pretty much the same lens. Requires stopping down to f8 or so for optimal corner performance. These are the widest options available.

Better corner performance can be had with the Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type2 and addon dome. Not quite as wide and a bit more expensive though. If you google a bit you can probably find some comparisons between these models so you know the tradeoffs.

The above options are optimal for the RX100 I and II lenses that start at 28mm. For future upgrades, the RX100 III and after start at 24mm, so you'd have significant vignette with the above wet lenses. There are wet lenses designed for a 24mm starting focal length (like Kraken Sports KRL-02 or Fantasea UWL-400F), but these aren't as wide on the original RX100 I and II models. So you don't have an optimal choice that works for all models unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I'm using the Kraken KRL-02 on a RX100 I and I don't find the vignetting too bad, nothing that can't be cropped out as needed. I used the UWL-04 for a while (until it departed the camera one dive!) and was happy with that lens. The KRL is slightly narrower in FOV, but not enough to make a big difference to me. Just kind of depends on your criteria.

BOO!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping it would be a bit easier than this. :/

For what it's worth, I'm using the Kraken KRL-02 on a RX100 I and I don't find the vignetting too bad, nothing that can't be cropped out as needed.

Interesting, so the KRL-02 has vignetting or visible hood on the original RX100? I would think the 28mm lens would crop that out.

Kraken also has a KRL-01 that should solve any FOV or Vignetting talked about , it is a 24mm/M67 mount as compared to KRL-02 24mm/M53 mount. Directly mounts to the 67mm thread.

The KRL-01 is a decent option to consider, but it's worth pointing out that it is quite a bit larger, heavier, and more expensive than the other options mentioned. Still, if there's any inclination to move up to a larger sensor camera in the future, you could continue to use the KRL-01.

After thinking about it, I will get the Fantasea UWL-04 and see how we get on. It's not so expensive that when I eventually upgrade I'll be crying about it.

Thanks guys.

Update: Ordered from B&H. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom