Sony RX100 rigs? What do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, not that often. I am enjoying shooting wide angle now since I just started it not long ago. So most dives I had the wide angle lens on. However, I carry the macro lenses with me in case something interesting shows up and I need to use them. I think on three dive trips since I had the set up (about forty dives total), I probably switched over to shooting macro a grand total of three times. A couple of times I also took off the wide angle lens to shoot some fish portraiture without any wet lens. Frankly speaking it is a bit troublesome like you mentioned. Most of the dives I just stick to one type of shooting, but I love the flexibility the system offers.

That's good feedback. I had an inkling about that, and then was also told this by the shop I bought my gear at. It's always good to hear it from someone that's more experienced than me that also doesn't have any skin in the game (sales!). Thanks for sharing! I do see value in the flip diopter for the CMC - I could see someone muck diving and then wanting to move that easily/quickly out of the way and then having it back on for macro again. At least with that, it's not as troublesome and there's hardly a change to lose it. It does come at a price though!

Reactions: YCW
I have an rx100 mk I (And a spare, actually) in a bright red Acquapazza housing (which is excellent, and the smallest/lightest/best depth rated of the Alu housings, or was when I checked. Would buy again).

I currently have a single Inon S2000 strobe on a ULCS/Nauticam ball arm setup, mounted directly to the housing - not ideal but it is compact!

I have an M67 to AD adapter (cheap, 10bar brand, and two spares) and use AD mount Inon lenses I got second hand. I have two UCL-165 macros and a UWL-100 with the dome for wideangle. I change the lenses a lot under water - plenty of dives that offer both macro and wideangle targets, and I don't have a very strong preference for one over the other. It's one major reason I like the setup.

I have Inon ad bayou net mounts on the arm so I can store the lenses safely when not in use.

Does anyone use the AO coolers for transporting and dunking/soaking their rig? What size do you have and how does it all fit?

I think the general recommendation for this category of camera is the 24 can size. Do you feel like the next size up would be better or is that enough?

Thanks.

Hi,
About 6 months ago Sony issued a software update wherein you can now disable the flash even after it has been popped up. Just make sure you're using the latest firmware (and if you have to update, do use Sony's own supplied USB cable - it often actually seems to make a difference but ymmv). Certain early Rx100 variants already had this feature, but the new ones do, too, now. The manual you're reading seems to be out of date. TTL works. I don't have your flash, but it seems to me that you'd turn the flash off on the back of the housing and then put your ys-d2 into manual.
Hope that helps.

It does help, thank you. I just downloaded the firmware yesterday, and got my housing yesterday. Hoping to get in the pool before it gets too cold. Now I have to sell the G16 stuff! Im excited !

Excellent thread guys.

I bought a RX100 Mk2 last year after picking up a used Ikelite housing, I added the Ikelite tray and I was up and running. The RX100 ii was a vast improvement over my previous Olympus TG-1 rig - no more high ISO noise, far superior focusing and much more.

I had been using mirrorless cameras such as the EM-5 and EM-1 on land for several years so I was quite familiar with all of the technical details of digital cameras (although not an ace photographer). This previous technical knowledge made my transition to the RX100 much easier than it would have otherwise been - it is quite a complex and sophisticated animal and probably a bit daunting for newbies to photography. Learning underwater photography was still a big challenge of course - long way to go yet.

A local retailer went into liquidation and dumped all of their stock so I picked up a couple of new Olympus UFL-1 strobes for a bargain price. The UFL-1's are just a re-branded Sea & Sea YS-17 and can do slave TTL with any camera. The strobes were mounted on flex arms with floatation provided by some hollow foam from one of those swimming aids that your grandmother uses. I also added an Inon UWL-100 with dome plus various other lenses including Inon the UFL-165AD, UCL-165M67 and Epoque DCL-20.

P8120384p.jpg _DSC3876pp.jpg

This was quite a basic rig but it worked well. Having the UWL-100 + dome and 2 strobes opened up a whole new world in terms of wide angle.
I did find the Ikelite tray far too wide - I couldn't easily hold the right handle and reach the shutter release. The Ikelite tray offered no option to move the housing along the tray - it was fixed in the centre position and this is difficult for people with small hands. The buttons on the rear of the housing are very close together - particularly those on the 4 way control wheel. Pressing just the centre ("OK") button was a struggle when wearing gloves.
These gripes didn't dampen my enthusiasm as the RX100 was such a great camera. THe UFL-1 strobes were fine but the flex arms were awkward if you wanted to get the strobes down at the same level as the camera and slightly behind the housing - a common position for placing strobes.

I then upgraded to a Recsea WHS-RX100ii housing when Backscatter had them on sale. I wanted something small after the bulky size of the Ikelite and the Recsea fitted the bill. It was also far more ergonomic with no issues and I liked the feedback from the shutter lever for the half press. I mounted it on a dual handle Nauticam Flexitray and chose a ball and clamp arm system. I bought Inon 8 inch mega floats mated to 8 inch Howshot carbon fibre floats. I replaced the UFL-1 strobes with Inon D-2000's.
This is how it looks.

RX100 Rig Recsea.jpg

Its a new rig other than the camera itself. I am very happy with this rig - not much to complain about. The Inon D-2000 strobes can be confusing at first - you need to read up on exactly how to operate them as it is not intuitive from looking at the controls. They are excellent strobes and I love the "Auto" feature where the strobe uses its own sensor. In this mode it also uses a long pre-flash to fool the camera into thinking that the scene is overexposed so it emits only a very brief main flash which saves draining the camera battery - very neat. You can of course do TTL and full manual. The extra reach of the arms is useful for wide angle.
I added a L&M Sola 800 focus light along with a BigBlue VL1800.
With all of these extras (and bigger strobes) the dry weight of the rig can get well over 5kg, especially when using heavier lenses such as the UWL-100 + dome and the Olympus PTWC-01 (a brilliant but huge lens).
Even the large floats can be heavy when out of the water.

I recently started shooting video so I succumbed to the inevitable temptation and bought a RX100 Mk4. I did this not so much for 4k but for the 100/120 fps at 1080 plus the high frame rate capability - I like doing slow motion. To house the Mk4 I bought a Fantasea FRX100 V housing which is future proof to the Mk5 (I do envy those who have the Mk5 - my next rig).
I am very impressed with both the camera and housing - haven't had them in the water yet but I have high expectations. I will be very grateful to be able to use auto ISO in manual and to set a minimum shutter speed for the automatic modes - my biggest gripes with the Mk2.
The Fantasea housing is even more ergonomic than the Recsea housing - it feels very comfortable in your hands. Unfortunately it doesn't work too well on the Nauticam tray (can't move far enough to the right) so it will spend life on an Ultralight tray.
I wish I could give some more feedback on this combo - hopefully within a couple of weeks with photos.

The only problem with upgrading to the RX100 Mk4 is that I don't want to let go of my Mk2 - it is great for stills with the 28-100mm lens.

I think my addiction to RX100's has a long way to run yet. :)

Attachments

• P8120384p.jpg
    P8120384p.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 136
I've got an RX100 II in bright green Acquapazza housing :D

20497530602_c0a9e621cb_c.jpg
RX100ii and Acquapazza underwater housing by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

For carrying/protection I have an AO Coolers Vinyl 12-can bag that doubles as a dunk-tank on the boat (no need to risk getting your dome damaged). With a single strobe, it barely fits and makes a great travel package.

I shoot with a single Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe (for now), and I pair it with a Fix UWL-04 wet lens. The wide angle lens is great and super-wide which is a lot of fun. I could probably use an extra strobe to get better light coverage and fill shadows, but I'm still getting used to just managing/handling a single. Here are a couple of shots (nothing too recent, unfortunately!):

29999579076_4530edd395_h.jpg
Just hanging out near under a rock by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

27848804360_447bc036c4_h.jpg
Monterey Fun Dive at McAbee Beach by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom