Sony Rx100 VA as up to date alternative to RX100 VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some here (wanting an ND filter and a brighter lens over more reach) may benefit from knowing that apparently Sony is bringing out a Rx100 VA model which has all or a lot or all (I did not read everything, not in the market right now) of the goodies of the Rx100VI but retains the brighter optics (and ND filter) of the Rx100 V.

Here is an Australian web-site that indicates so.:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA Digital Camera

Wow, what a camera!!! Any idea when it will be available in the US? And what does VA stand for??

Thanks for the heads up, although it's too late for me, as I just picked up a V. Looks like a V with a VI processor. There should be some improvement in focus speed and subject tracking. How much improvement is yet to be determined.

At $1400AU, or about $1000US, the VA is somewhat cheaper than the VI and more than the V. With the release of the VI, prices for V have fallen. I paid $800 on Greentoe.

Interesting. Not shown on Sony's website in the US yet. But it would be a much better idea than the super zoom VI with it's long lens.

Not showing in Singapore either...but that would be a very interesting camera.
It is just crazy the number of $$$'s they are wanting for it!!

If only the housings and lenses for a mirrorless system was not so so so so expensive!!

It is just crazy the number of $$$'s they are wanting for it!!

If only the housings and lenses for a mirrorless system was not so so so so expensive!!

Yep, the RX100-V,VA,VI UW setups look expensive until you start pricing out Sony mirrorless setups. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 II (what a mouthful) setup that everyone seems to be fire sale-ing is pretty cheap, and quite tempting, but I prefer the RX100-V's fast, fast, fast phase-detect focusing.

Still quite pricey, but it seems the DSC-RX100 VA has a USD 200 lower list price than the DSC-RX100 VI

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA Digital Camera DSC-RX100M5A B&H

DSC-RX100 VI | B&H Photo Video

So, asides of brighter lens and built in ND filter for the DSC-RX100 VA vs. darker lens with longer reach and no built in ND filter, how do you read the other difference between the two (e.g. viewfinder? what else?) and how do you value them as pros and cons?

Sony replaces RX100 V with RX100 VA, bringing RX100 VI processor and firmware

quoting from the above:
Sony has quietly updated its RX100 V, bringing a couple of the goodies from the RX100 VI travel zoom. The updated RX100 VA gains a new processor and various firmware tweaks but misses out on the VI's other hardware improvements.

The updated processor brings some performance benefits but it also means the VA gains the latest Sony menu system, which has been restructured, has clearer indicators of where you are in the menu and, most significantly, has a customizable 'My Menu' tab. This allows you to group the settings you regularly change, rather than having to remember which sub-section of which tab they're buried in.

On top of this, the camera's Eye AF and subject tracking performance should be improved. The refresh rate of the viewfinder is also said to be uprated. In addition, these are some of the differences we found:

• Deeper buffer (233 files, up from 150)
  • Proxy movie mode (captures 720p footage alongside 4K capture)
  • 'Zone' AF area mode
  • Variable size spot metering, Entire Screen Average and Highlight Spot metering
  • Add ratings to images (with ability to customize which ratings are available)
  • Three Auto WB options (Std, Ambience or White)
However, the RX100M5A does not get the improved one-touch viewfinder, nor the touchscreen added in the RX100M6. Its rear screen tilts down by 45°, not 90. Nor does the VA gain all the firmware improvements from the VI: there's no sign of Hybrid Log Gamma or the ability to capture S-Log3 footage, for instance.

The RX100 VA also loses compatibility with Sony's in-camera 'PlayMemories Camera Apps.
(display menu image missing in my "quote"
The updated Sony menus are a little easier to navigate and gain a custom 'My Menu' tab.

There's been no press release from Sony of the changes but the VA appeared on Sony's Japanese site last week and has replaced the RX100 V if you visit the Sony US website. This is the first time Sony has made any update to an RX100 model, rather than simply replacing it, perhaps offering hope that the company will continue to develop both the long-zoom and short, bright-zoom models in the lineup.

Back
Top Bottom