sony rx100v and YS-D2 set up help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So after waiting for the Sony RX-100VI to come out I decided to go with theRX-100V V instead. I didnt like the lens change the slower speeds on the new model. Anyway I am shooting with YS-D2 strobes and I am looking for any set up help as far as settings on the new camera to get strobes to fire right.
Thanks in advance

I have a RX100IV with 2 YS-D2s. The strobes will fire so long as you set your flash settings to be always on and have the flash up in the housing. I would use auto white balance. I only do custom when I am shallow and my strobes are not more powerful than natural light. You will need compatible fiber optic cables which Is dictated by what housing you have. You can either use TTL or manual.

RX100V here and D2J strobe... no particular setup, i normally shot in underwater mode and in manual (ISO 200 or ISO Auto; 1/160+ ..variable aperture depending of the subject). The D2 is set in DS-TTL, but you'll find yourself often to adjust the EV to compensate (most of the time negatively due to the too much light, especially in wide shots).

I used to shoot auto white balance on this camera but was told to set the white balance to the color temperature of the strobes. What a difference.

I used to shoot auto white balance on this camera but was told to set the white balance to the color temperature of the strobes. What a difference.

I didn't found anything strange with coloring and I also shoot in RAW mode so it's not an issue at all. Anyway what kind of difference exactly?

PS: I also do a lot of videos, so the auto wb is preferable for me.

"You can either use TTL or manual." Does the RX 100 V have a manual strobe option? I thought it was only TTL.
Bill

"You can either use TTL or manual." Does the RX 100 V have a manual strobe option? I thought it was only TTL.
Bill

If it's in manual mode, the DS doesn't care, it will ignore the pre-flash if there's one. Manual means that when it will sense the light from the internal strobe (TTL or not) it will activate to produce the amount of light (time) set manually on the strobe.

If it's in manual mode, the DS doesn't care, it will ignore the pre-flash if there's one. Manual means that when it will sense the light from the internal strobe (TTL or not) it will activate to produce the amount of light (time) set manually on the strobe.
doesn't it need two different modes when in manual? if there's a pre flash it needs to ignore that otherwise the flash will fire twice and often it is depleted enough to badly under expose when the trigger for the main flash comes through. At least that is how INON works, the pre flash is out of sync with the main exposure and won't be recorded. And if the camera could do manual flash the flash needs to fire on the first flash, so you need two different settings. The thing to remember is the flash has no way of knowing what mode the camera is in and needs to be set to the right setting for it to work correctly.

As I specified in my previous post: the D2 already recognizes the pre-flash of the RX100 (in its standard setup / mode 0, there's nothing to configure) and will ignore it. It works straight away in both TTL and manual mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom