Sony Rx100V focus help for shallow underwater use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helijib

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have rx100 V that I use in a new Recsea housing with a super wide angle lens, but only shoot shallow video, 2 feet deep at the most. For these situations I'm holding camera underwater and not able to look through viewfinder or screen.

Wondering about what settings I should be using for this type of use? What focus settings should I be using as far as holding camera 1ft to 2ft away from subject and feeling certain that I have the subject in tack sharp focus before I hit the record button?

thanks for any tips as I really appreciate the help.

The more recent RX100 cams are very reliable and fast focusing - even my mark 1 is good enough 90% of the time.

For a wet wide lens, switch on the auto zone focus (camera automatically selects multiple areas) and stop down a little (f 5.6 or so should be plenty on a 1" sensor)

Thanks Mattia, Really appreciate that info. I will go into setting and try this out now.
Unlike my work above water where I'm shooting primarily all manual, underwater I'm usually in a major time crunch as I'm capturing a fish being released into the wild. So I don't have time to figure out the exact aperture setting. Would you recommend a typical setting for this (whether auto or other rx100v setting)? Or maybe you were thinking locking it on 5.6?

Thanks!!!

Into the menu focus settings, many new options here from the original rx100. Amazing.
Hope I don't make this too complicated but just hope to get your feedback with a few of the actual settings I'm seeing when clicking the menu button.

Under the menu then Camera icon
- 3rd screen - focus mode...
for shooting video would you choose auto af, continuous af of dmf?

- 4th screen - Focus Area...
Wide, Center, Flixible Spot M, Expand Flexible Spot or Lock on AF:W - for my situation which would you all recommend?

- Af drive speed...
Fast, Norm, Slow

-AF Track Sens...
High, Normal

-7th screen - Center Lock On Focus...
On or Off

- 8th screen - Scene selection...
Usually choose sport

Gear icon
Lots of adjustments about MF assist. I've always left those off?

Thanks very much for any tips for using this new camera with housing and wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom