Soon to be diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacgul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,
I will be completing my first open water PADI course next week. I have wanted to get scuba certified for years now but work prevented. But now it is set for next week!
Jac

Thank you, I suspect it will be just that. My goal is to become a master diver within the next couple of years.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Good luck on your certification. Please let us know how it goes!

Welcome ! Remember : once certified, you're doomed ! Believe me I was... Couldn't give up the habit. :wink:

I got the open water and then rolled right into advanced open water, I don't think it makes me advanced, but it gave me more of the basic skills I need to build upon and one day be advanced. I absolutely loved every minute of it. What an amazing activity, I know where basically all my money will go from now on.

Your checking account will never forgive you.

Slow down on certs focus on pratice and dive for a bit. Then as you advance you'll get more out of it

Diving is a damned expensive and demanding Mistress, beware ! :p And I should know ! :D

Thank you, I suspect it will be just that. My goal is to become a master diver within the next couple of years.

I'd say you're better off enjoying diving, and figuring out what you want to do with it, than chase specific titles. You've barely started diving, and you're already talking about specific titles that mean little to most people in the dive community, but rather are marketing-tools of dive-agencies intended to sell classes.

Probably a good initial set of goals for classes is (below) and even this list it might be good to take some time between classes and get some more experience:

* Open Water
* "Advanced" Open Water (which should be called "intermediate" open water)
* Rescue Diver

Other than that, I'd say actually experience diving, and figure out what interests you. Maybe you discover you instead want to focus on side-mount, or photography, or solo-diving, or something else.

Personally, the majority of my dives are 30ft to 60ft or less, I usually dive solo, and discovered I like sidemount. I usually avoid deeper-dives, just because they're colder, shorter, and nobody really look at or cares about my dive-log. I'd do a 130ft dive for something REALLY cool, but otherwise I'd rather enjoy my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom