(Soon to be) New diver from NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I got certified thru SSI in June 2002, and am all set. I have all my gear and am looking forward to move dives and continuing courses - mainly AOW, wreck, Nitrox, Trimix.

I dive:

Koplin SS bakplate
Halcyon wings
Halcyon STA
Halcyon tank straps
Scubapro Tri Vent purge mask
OMS tech mask (backup)
Halcyon harness
US Divers 2-piece 7mm wetsuit
Aqua Lung Titan and Titan LX regs rigged DIR style
5 ft LP long hose DIR style
US Divers Rocket fins
Uwatech bottom timer
Catalina AL80
Catalina AL19 PONY rigged as stage bottle
Mares boots and gloves
Mares Axis reg on PONY

..and loving every dive. Have my sights set on lots of wrecks in the St. Lawrence River (just 1.5 hrs north of me) and am going to Key largo in Jan 2003 to dive some reefs and wrecks.

Thanks!

If you're willing to do some dives up here in the cold water, I live in Troy! Come on up to Lake George or something :wink:

Welcome to the board

eyescuba: I'm in Poughkeepsie, NY...its about an hour and a half train ride into the city.

I'm originally from good 'ole Watertown, NY and attended college in Potsdam, NY (even further north than Watertown!)

Just finished pool sessions, doing open water dives in a quarry (Dutch Springs) in Bethlehem, PA on September 7/8. Eventually would like to be able to dive wrecks and caves!

Already trying to decide where to plan my first trip :wink: Would really like to try somewhere in Brazil (have always wanted to visit, now I can dive, too!). The people I spoke with say Fernando de Noronha and Recife are two places to definitely dive.

Only trouble is figuring out how to book/plan this trip, since no shop near here is going to Brazil. I did a search on the 'net, found a bunch of old (early 2002, even 2001 and later) prices/packages. I've made three phone calls so far and ended up with a non-english speaking person every time. Places like Cozumel, Bonaire, etc have information and travel agenices abound, but not Brazil.

Anyways, this is not the board for a travel discussion :)

<edit>

guess I should read everyone's replies closer!

Scuba446: man, before (soon) becoming a diver, I hadn't even thought of diving the St. Lawrence. That sounds like fun! Isn't the water in NY going to get fairly cold pretty soon, which will rule out wetsuit diving? Rivers have a flow to them...I'm guessing I would need more training to learn to handle myself underwater in a current?

jonnytan: So far all I own is a 3mm full body wetsuit. Wouldn't I need like a 7mm, or even a dry suit (more certfication :confused: ) to dive in cold water? I could rent the equipment after I'm certified (planning to buy my equipment all in one shot in a couple months), and would be happy to join ya!

I just signed up to three days trip to St. Lawrence. We will leave Sep 20th and will dive to four wrecks. LDS says that I need only 5mm or only one piece of 7mm wet suit.

looking forward :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom