Soooooooo Excited . OK all you E-pl2 users need help here.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:D I just pulled the trigger on the E-pl2.....I know I need a complete setup to go with it so everyone tell me what you have with yours. Is there a wet wide angle lens I can use with the Oly housing??????

You and me both!! Mine just arrived yesterday, with the kit lens and the panasonic/Leica 45mm macro. and the Oly macro wet lens for the standard zoom. In my test (on land) shooting around the house I am really impressed with this camera!! In my hand-held tests, the Oly macro diopter allows the kit lens to give very decent macro shots, although maybe not "ultra macro." The Leica macro is a whole different league and blew me away by comparison and I have heard that it can work in the standard housing. The Housing will arrive next week.

I am also interested in the answer to your question about the wide angle wet lens. I think you are like me and want the option of "point and shoot" convenience (ie shooting ultra-wide to macro by adding lenses underwater). I see that Oly has a macro adapter that snaps onto the port and allows 67mm threaded accessory lenses. However, the Oly wide lens, while excellent, is very BIG and heavy. I don't know if the snap-on adapter would handle it.

The Oly housing does accept the 9-18 mm ultra-wide zoom in the standard port. From what I have seen it does not give the greatest results towards the widest end in the standard port, but will be much wider that the standard zoom even zoomed in. Still, it does not give the same versatility as the standard zoom with wide/macro wet lenses.

Maybe there are third party solutions? Otherwise, I will invest in the 9-18 which is 700 (the oly wet lens is $380). Later, you can add a dome port that gives the 9-18 its full ultra-wide glory.

I have moved up from the Oly xz-1 which did not sync with my flashes, that is how I know about the quality of the oly wide angle adapter.

Not that I know of. Most people purchase the 9-18 mm lens and the zen port

And as much as I would love to stick even more money into it right away. I just can't right now.....So I will have to be content to work with the basic set up for awhile....If I could figure a way to make my Ikelite DS51 work on TTL I wouldn't have to invest in a new strobe. I think I'm going with the SS-03112 YS-01 Strobe & cord set up....

DSLRs like the Oly PEN don't use external w/a lenses. You will need to use an internal 9-18, and for best results a dome port likethe the Zen dome to get the best FOV and closest focus.

The Ike DS-51 can be used iwth their new optical adapter ($80) with the Oly housing in manual mode. I wouldn't get too worked up about having TTL, in many ways shooting manual is preferred except for macro/close up work.

Jack

Anyway to sync it to the S&S???

:D I just pulled the trigger on the E-pl2.....I know I need a complete setup to go with it so everyone tell me what you have with yours. Is there a wet wide angle lens I can use with the Oly housing??????
On my e-pl1
  • Oly housing
  • 9-18mm lens + Zen dome
  • 2 Inon s2000 strobes
  • Sola 600 video/focus light
  • Inon UCL-165M67 close-up lens + stacked Ikelite +4 close-up lens.
  • Orange filter (for video)

Since I had an Inon UWL-100 W/A wet lens for my previous G9 setup I tried it with the e-pl1, but besides being too heavy for the lightweight 67MM adaptor, it didn't work due to too much vignetting.
I don't think any external Wide Angle lens will work, but it would be great to hear otherwise.

Cheddar,

If you are asking if the Sea & Sea YS-01 works with the E-PL1/2 using a fiber optic cord the answer is yes. It works well in both manual and S-TTL.

Another great choice in housings for the E-PL2 is the new Nauticam which has ports for the Panasonic 8 mm fisheye, 7-14 W/A zoom, 45 macro, both pana & Oly 14-42 zooms, the Oly 9-18 zoom and more. Looking forward to getting my hands on this housing.

Nauticam USA - Innovation Underwater - Nauticam USA News - Nauticam NA-EPL2 Housing for Olympus E-PL2

Phil Rudin

Ahh Phil.. you break my heart......I am TRYING to stay within budget...and that ain't in it LOL.....I know...Send me one and I'll try it out for you....:eyebrow:

My Oly E-PL1 set-up consist of:
- 10 Bar housing with semi dome port + 67mm wet lens adapter
- Lens : Mzuiko 14-42 lens kit, Zuiko ED 35mm macro (w/ adapter) and Panny 7-14 mm
- Inon UCL 165M67 macro wet lens
- 2 S&S YS-01
- Bigblue focus light

The 10 bar semi dome port can be used for all three lens - but will not get optimum results. As posted in this forum too, there's soft edges with Panny at 7mm. I always fail to manual WB with 7-14 mm.
The 35mm auto focus is slow - okay for nudi, or manual focus - can be used very-very close to the subject; that's why I scracth the dome port a bit.
The YS-01 work in STTL but mostly I use manual.
The Inon UCL 165M67 can be attached to the semi dome port with M67 adapter but adjusting the strobe light position is tricky.
The total set-up is very negative in the water - so need to install STIX buotyancy float.

Honestly, I love the XZ-1 set-up I bought for my daughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom