Sore throat from dry compressed air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd blame the sore throat on the four hours of speaking at the second job, not the pool time.

Diving is a great way to give your vocal chords a rest.

I'd blame the sore throat on the four hours of speaking at the second job, not the pool time.

Diving is a great way to give your vocal chords a rest.
was pushed at the pool, in a different language, first time voicing my frustration with the regulator in my mouth

(*in)

Try a metal 2nd like the SP 109 or old Conshelf.

One way to look at this is that your exhaled breath is about 4-6% water vapor by mass. There's about 2.6 kg of air in a so-called aluminum 80, so you'll directly breathe out 130mL of water into your bubbles. Obviously, if you're sweating or excreting water in other ways that will be on top of the exhaled vapor.

Greetings!
I dive on a daily basis. These days we are using air conditioners. Today after some pool time, I went to my second job. After about 4 hours of speaking, my throat became sore as in it hurts to speak.
My question is; can compressor air be "dry"(?) and be a cause of a sore throat?
Many thanks and HAPPY FRIDAY!

From the moment you are born until your three score years and ten are up, you breathe the filthiest most polluted, gross contaminated particulate irritant pollen dust polluted chemical waste by product virus infested filth of a gas known to man as atmospheric air.

Not withstanding sharing each breath you take until you stop breathing with countless billion other disease infested dregs of humanity pathogen carcinogen and heck knows what crisper gene spliced edited germ warfare laboratory by product out of China you can imagine.

And your complaining about a sore throat.
But whatever anyone say's or whatever you think it is its not dry air.

Dry air is the “Catch All” excuse for a poorly designed, poorly maintained and poorly filtered using poor chemical choice of material with the poor choice of so called breathing air compressor brand your breathing from.

Go back to your breathing air supplier tell them to make some changes. Take a big long heavy iron bar with you for persuasion. Tell them you want to see the compressor and the filter plant. Take a photo of it.
This is the one time one person is responsible for what you breathe and you paid them to do it. Its your life and it just got shortened. Happy Friday.

Depending on where you are diving (salt water / heavily chlorinated pool) this may not be of help, but in fresh water dives I sometimes simply take a sip of the water to wet my mouth.

You could try nasal hydration with something like NeilMed sinus rinse.
http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php

I found this helps with the dryness, gets my sinus system used to some water getting there, helps with colds and hay fever. I rarely use decongestants on dive trips.

You could also use nasal saline spray. It is like nasal spray, but with just a salt solution, no drugs.
Walgreens Saline Nasal Spray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom