• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SOS light repair

Discussion in 'Lights' started by buddhasummer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I use LSD NiMh in my backup. I check it ever 3-4 months just to make sure there has been no seepage and top off the batteries. This last time the were down like 300mAhm, from 2000mAh, something like half a AAA. It's just not an issue anymore with decent cells, Lithium or NiMh.

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    @fmerkel if using NiMH in backups and you aren't using them regularly, you want a smart charger with a cycle function. Good to do that every few months and I usually do it prior to a big trip.
    I use this guy since it also does my LiPo batteries
    Opus BT-C3100 Charger/Battery Tester

Some of the eneloop chargers have that feature as well, but I prefer the opus since it tells me the actual battery capacity so I can tell when they need to be replaced.

3. runsongas

runsongas Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @buddhasummer

Not sure it would be the pair of orings like the old dive rites. no visible groove from the picture at least. might have to remove the potting from the rear in order to dig out the emitter and driver. between a new emitter, driver, and optics, getting a d26 is the cheaper and easier route. what beam angle are you looking for?

4. tbone1004

oh, don't get me wrong, there is a 0% chance that I would bother with trying to fix or upgrade it, but I don't have the time and frankly couldn't be bothered. I don't like the form factor of the D26 personally, nor do I like 26650's, and I really don't like the button, but to each his own. I would certainly go with a new backup light to whatever you personally prefer.

buddhasummer likes this.
  5. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

Well equipped that way: an Opus, Zanflare C4, 2x Lii-500, BlueTech (Lacrosse rebrand AA/AAA), and a couple of full bore hobby chargers.
    If not being used regularly, I do cycle them occasionally.

Personally think 26650 are great!

6. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Divemaster

The glass is fixed by what looks like a flat split ring, I'd imagine it would be very hard to remove without a press. Looks like I might have to bin it. I'm looking for something small, I'm a small guy and don't have a lot of space on my harness. I like CR123 as they have a very long shelf life, I also like AA as I have two other lights that use them and my Perdix, so when traveling getting the batteries is not an issue. The other issue with rechargeables is the need to carry a charger, not a big deal I know but when traveling I like things to be as simple as possible and to carry as less as possible.

Greenforce make what looks like a nice backup running on AA, Diamond 600AA but it's a little on the long side.

Around 10 degrees would suit my needs, I only want it for OW diving.

7. lexvil

lexvil Manta Ray

On the other hand, on a liveaboard dead battery, no spares done or recharge? Probably why I like the Teric.

buddhasummer likes this.
  8. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Divemaster

Yes, on a longer liveaboard that makes absolute sense. That thought never crossed my mind. Back to the drawing board, thanks Lex.

lexvil likes this.
  9. tbone1004

Dive Rite BX1 may be an option for you. It's twist on which I find annoying, but it can take AAA's or 18650's. 18650's are much better though and the charger for a single one is pretty tiny all things considered.

buddhasummer likes this.
  10. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Divemaster

Thanks Tom, I'm a big fan of magnetic collars, all my MB-sub lights have them.