South Florida Jan 1 to 8th 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just booked airfare to Orlando and plan to rent a car and drive with my wife down to the keys. I've already inquired with Conch Republic and diving the Duane and speigel grove.

Is there any other must do dives (prefer wreck)within driving distance?

I imagine the Oriskany is a little far?

3mm, 5mm or Dry?

I figured this is the place to ask.

That time of year - 5MM - water will be (likely) 72-75 Last year around that time I recorded 68 off the Spiegal Grove Brrrrrrr!

Check the weather carefully - that time of year its not uncomon to get blown out by cold fronts that really increase the seas; sometimes its not diveable - you could also get calm seas and great viz - its a crapshoot - you may end up at a spring if the weather does not cooperate - its not wreck diving but at least you can get wet and they are not far from Orlando

You should also check Palm Beach diving (specifically Jupiter) - much closer; on the way to the Keys - heck you have a week - do both locations. A great operator is Jupiter Dive Center

Good luck!

Since you are in Orlando, you could do the DiveQuest at Epcot. I have never been, but it has received a few excellent reviews on SB.

Come down to Key West and dive the Cayman Salvage Master, great dive 95feet water temp will be 79f-81f 3mm suit should be fine.
Check out Southpoint Divers, great dive operation.

Drive north towards West Palm Beach/Jupiter...great drift diving with some big critters.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom