South Maui Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapsFan22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, first post after a few months of lurking.

My girlfriend and I will be in Maui with family June 30th to July 10th and have some boat dives already booked. We'll also be doing some shore dives around our hotel in Wailea (Fairmont Kea Lani). We are beginners; will have 11 dives under our belt prior to the trip, one being a night dive, all within the past two months.

I've done a lot of reading about Maui diving, both boat and shore, but was looking for opinions on the shore diving schedule I've laid out for us.

We have two days of that trip that are going to be used for shore diving. The first Saturday, which will be our first dives in Maui, I planned on diving at Ulua Beach and either Makena Landing or Ahihi Cove. Keeping in mind that we are beginners, and as such, are looking for really simple dives to get comfortable in a new location, are these good choices?

The second day of shore dives is the following Saturday, and will be our last day of diving. By that time, we will have had 6 dives (2 shore, 4 boat) in Maui. My plan was to just dive at the beach right outside our hotel (Polo Beach), once during the daytime and then the same exact dive at night. This choice was made based on the idea that we will be spending the most time at this beach throughout our visit, which will include a fair amount of snorkeling with my dad. I understand diving and snorkeling are not the same, but it does seem like it will be the area of ocean that we will be most familiar with, which may help with the night dive. Does that line of thinking make sense? Should we be looking at other local beaches for a more interesting, but still beginner friendly, night dive?

I fully plan on speaking to local dive shops about the area while in Maui, but figured additional advice wouldn't hurt. Thanks!

Makena Landing is a fantastic dive that you could do numerous times. The entry is easy and the natural navigation is fairly self explanatory. It would be wise to utilize a flag (any shore dives) especially with the boats that come into this area. It is also shallow and should allow for a long dive time. Be mindful of swell as it is easy to get into some very shallow areas that can catch you off guard with surge. As you head out (keeping the reef on your right and sand to your left) it's easy to stay 20ft deep and better. While the caves are fantastic - as newer divers it's best to be conservative and not get carried away exploring them without a guide (just my humble opinion). Turtles, frogfish, giant puffers, octopus, beautiful reef fish, etc...

Shaka Doug is more of an expert on the diving on Maui and can guide you better should you be interested in sending him a message on the board.

Mike Severn's and Ed Robinson's are fantastic operations for boats down in the Kihei area.

Hope your vacation is fantastic and welcome to the board
A

Makena lands is very highly recommended. If you use Maui Dreams for tank/weight/dive flag rentals they have a really nice map of the size that shows the nice lava tubes you can enter--including one that has an air bell inside.

5 Graves is also nice, but entry can be a pain and may not be recommended for newer divers--although I would hardly call it advanced.

Ulua is nice (and easy) as well.

I would definitely recommend going to West Maui and diving Mala Pier and the Old Airport dive site. Old airport is a public park with a nice easy entry. Mala Pier has an annoying entry, but is definitely a must do if you are going to shore dive Maui.

I don't think there was a shore dive I didn't see multiple turtles.

I know conditions have likely changed, but I was there a month ago and have to agree with what everyone has said. I typically shore dive as I can take all my gear and rent 2 tanks and a flag for a day for <$20 and did about 8 shore dives that trip.

Ulua is super easy and shallow, every time I've gone there is good parking early in the morning and a nice drop off area for your gear. Had a bunch of other divers every time I was there throughout the day so the hardest part about that dive is trying to figure out which of the 10 flags is yours when you're done.

I've dove Makena on several trips and it's one of my favorites, like everyone says, just watch the surf. If I remember right you surface swim out to where you are offshore of the green shed and descend to plant your flag weight in the sand out from the coral shaped like Darth Vader's helmet. Keep the shore to your right and it's impossible to get lost, just turn around when you get to half a tank. We got tossed around in the surf alot the last time I was there, but still pretty easy and may be a little better by now.

I typically rent from Maui Dreams, they are quick to offer advice on conditions and sites, and have the cheapest cost for tank/flag rentals.

If you venture up to West Maui:

+1 for Mala Pier. The viz sucked the day I went, but it was still better than inland northwest diving and it's an interesting and unique site compared to the rest of the shore diving on the island.

Old airport Beach is also a really easy dive with a lot to see (hell, I found someone's wedding ring in the sand). It was shallow and fun to tool around underwater for a while while my wife read on the beach.

Standard rental tanks were a few bucks more on that end, still cheap though.

If you go for night diving be mindful of when the parks close their gates. You don't want to get your car locked in.

Enjoy your trip

Makena Landing is a fantastic dive that you could do numerous times. The entry is easy and the natural navigation is fairly self explanatory. It would be wise to utilize a flag (any shore dives) especially with the boats that come into this area. It is also shallow and should allow for a long dive time. Be mindful of swell as it is easy to get into some very shallow areas that can catch you off guard with surge. As you head out (keeping the reef on your right and sand to your left) it's easy to stay 20ft deep and better. While the caves are fantastic - as newer divers it's best to be conservative and not get carried away exploring them without a guide (just my humble opinion). Turtles, frogfish, giant puffers, octopus, beautiful reef fish, etc...

Shaka Doug is more of an expert on the diving on Maui and can guide you better should you be interested in sending him a message on the board.

Mike Severn's and Ed Robinson's are fantastic operations for boats down in the Kihei area.

Hope your vacation is fantastic and welcome to the board
A

Thanks for the welcome! We will definitely be using a dive flag, I believe I've read that it's required on Maui. We will be avoiding any caves. I checked out Five Graves, and while it sounds cool and fairly simple, I think it's still best we don't venture into any overhead environments at this time.

Thanks for the advice on how to navigate around Makena, that's information that I could not find through my google searches. Appreciate it!

Makena lands is very highly recommended. If you use Maui Dreams for tank/weight/dive flag rentals they have a really nice map of the size that shows the nice lava tubes you can enter--including one that has an air bell inside.

5 Graves is also nice, but entry can be a pain and may not be recommended for newer divers--although I would hardly call it advanced.

Ulua is nice (and easy) as well.

I would definitely recommend going to West Maui and diving Mala Pier and the Old Airport dive site. Old airport is a public park with a nice easy entry. Mala Pier has an annoying entry, but is definitely a must do if you are going to shore dive Maui.

I don't think there was a shore dive I didn't see multiple turtles.

Awesome! I planned on using Maui Dreams based on their prices for rentals; good to hear they have a map. I'll have to check out those other sites as well.

Thanks for the information!

I know conditions have likely changed, but I was there a month ago and have to agree with what everyone has said. I typically shore dive as I can take all my gear and rent 2 tanks and a flag for a day for <$20 and did about 8 shore dives that trip.

Ulua is super easy and shallow, every time I've gone there is good parking early in the morning and a nice drop off area for your gear. Had a bunch of other divers every time I was there throughout the day so the hardest part about that dive is trying to figure out which of the 10 flags is yours when you're done.

I've dove Makena on several trips and it's one of my favorites, like everyone says, just watch the surf. If I remember right you surface swim out to where you are offshore of the green shed and descend to plant your flag weight in the sand out from the coral shaped like Darth Vader's helmet. Keep the shore to your right and it's impossible to get lost, just turn around when you get to half a tank. We got tossed around in the surf alot the last time I was there, but still pretty easy and may be a little better by now.

I typically rent from Maui Dreams, they are quick to offer advice on conditions and sites, and have the cheapest cost for tank/flag rentals.

If you venture up to West Maui:

+1 for Mala Pier. The viz sucked the day I went, but it was still better than inland northwest diving and it's an interesting and unique site compared to the rest of the shore diving on the island.

Old airport Beach is also a really easy dive with a lot to see (hell, I found someone's wedding ring in the sand). It was shallow and fun to tool around underwater for a while while my wife read on the beach.

Standard rental tanks were a few bucks more on that end, still cheap though.

If you go for night diving be mindful of when the parks close their gates. You don't want to get your car locked in.

Enjoy your trip

Lots of love for Makena Landing, so we will definitely be doing that one! Good to know a good spot for the dive flag as well, so I appreciate that information.

What a find regarding the wedding ring! I'll actually be proposing during this trip on the Hana side of the island...there's no way she's diving with that sucker on her finger!

Good information about the parks closing their gates. That's another reason that Polo Beach might be a good option for the night dive. We can drop our gear off and then return the car to the main parking area (I assume at least, will have to figure out the logistics when we get there). Through my reading, it doesn't sound like the best option for shore dives, but it hopefully it will be good enough.

Thanks again for everyone's input! This is a good place.

I did Makena once as a night dive and it was awesome. This was years ago and the surge was light, paid Maui Dreams to be my buddy/guide. As I recall we parked outside the gates of the park for that one as they were closed when we resurfaced. As of note for night diving in Hawaii, look out for shore fisherman in certain places when diving at night, we had to navigate around several lines while diving Makena back then.

When I stayed at the Fairmont Maui I had zero interest in doing shoredives elsewhere. The reef off of Polo beach, right out front the hotel, is so good that many boat operators go there for their second dive. My daughter and I were in 6 feet of water when a large turtle came up to say hello. Plus the dive op at the hotel has a nice hut right by the water so it is literally about 20 steps to enter. Do some boat trips with Severans right up the street and you will have the complete experience.

I'll be in Maui at the same time and would be more than happy to meet you on July 1 at Makena and "guide" you on the dive. I'm not a dive master, but am a part-timer on Maui and have hundreds of dives all areound Maui, with Makena being one of my favorites.

PM me if you're interested in meeting up.

I did Makena once as a night dive and it was awesome. This was years ago and the surge was light, paid Maui Dreams to be my buddy/guide. As I recall we parked outside the gates of the park for that one as they were closed when we resurfaced. As of note for night diving in Hawaii, look out for shore fisherman in certain places when diving at night, we had to navigate around several lines while diving Makena back then.

Thanks for the heads up about fishing line! That would have been quite a surprise for us newbies. I can't wait to dive Makena after all the positive responses in this thread!

When I stayed at the Fairmont Maui I had zero interest in doing shoredives elsewhere. The reef off of Polo beach, right out front the hotel, is so good that many boat operators go there for their second dive. My daughter and I were in 6 feet of water when a large turtle came up to say hello. Plus the dive op at the hotel has a nice hut right by the water so it is literally about 20 steps to enter. Do some boat trips with Severans right up the street and you will have the complete experience.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that good of a dive. There is so little information about Polo Beach as a dive site, plus the (old) reviews on shorediving.com weren't all that glowing. Thanks for the information!

I'll be in Maui at the same time and would be more than happy to meet you on July 1 at Makena and "guide" you on the dive. I'm not a dive master, but am a part-timer on Maui and have hundreds of dives all areound Maui, with Makena being one of my favorites.

PM me if you're interested in meeting up.

Man, what an awesome offer! I will be sending you a PM shortly. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the boat dives and operations, I have had dives booked with Maui Dive Shop for a few months now, but have seen such great reviews and recommendations for Mike Severn's and Ed Robinson's that I'm considering making a change. The only thing that I don't understand fully is where we would be diving through those operations (mostly Ed Robinson's). Our schedule through Maui Dive Shop is as follows:

Wednesday, July 5th - 2-Tank Manta and West Maui Dive. Their description is very specific about going to a Manta Ray cleaning station, which is amazing and one of the creatures I am dying to see. Perhaps seeing these is more common and it would occur on other operations?

Thursday, July 6th - 2-Tank Molokini and Turtle Town - We definitely want to get to Molokini, and turtle town sounds pretty cool. I assume Turtle Town is not describing a specific area, more a dive that will most likely involve turtles in some way.

Ed Robinson's just lists a 2-tank select dive. I don't really know what that means or where it will go. Do they choose on that day where we end up? Do the divers get to choose where we go? What happens when most divers have already been to Molokini and don't want to go? Being new to boat diving (diving in general), I'm just not sure how it all works outside of what I have read.

Mike Severn's seems like they definitely go to Molokini on most of their dives, but if we go with them does that mean we are doing Molokini twice? While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, this trip may be a once in a lifetime type deal for us, so I'd like to have a different site each time.

I live for planning things like this, but am pretty confused by all the different options. I've narrowed down our boat diving desires to seeing a Manta Ray and going to Molokini, with two different sites mixed in.

I actually just spoke to Pauline at Mike Severn's through email. She was super nice and answered all my questions quickly and thoroughly. I think I am switching over to them based on the customer service and excellent reviews on this site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom