South Western Michigan - South Haven-Saugatuck-Holland-Grand Haven-Muskegon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I frequently visit South Western Michigan but I've yet to dive there. Are there any decent wrecks in that area? Are there any dive charters that work that area?

There's quite a few technical dives out there, but the shallow stuff isn't worth anything.

There's quite a few technical dives out there, but the shallow stuff isn't worth anything.

How deep? I'm good to about 160'. Just back from a trip to eastern Lake Erie diving in the 130-160' range.

One of the biggest dive attractions in that area is the Ann Arbor 5 110-160 off of South Haven. A big busted up steamer the Ironsides lies off Grand Haven in 122'. The North Shore Tug is a intact tug in 150' out of Saugatuk and is pretty attractive to tech divers. Otherwise there are some scuttled vessels outside Grand Haven no deeper than 80'.

One of the biggest dive attractions in that area is the Ann Arbor 5 110-160 off of South Haven. A big busted up steamer the Ironsides lies off Grand Haven in 122'. The North Shore Tug is a intact tug in 150' out of Saugatuk and is pretty attractive to tech divers. Otherwise there are some scuttled vessels outside Grand Haven no deeper than 80'.

Great info! Thanks!

I live in Muskegon And the local dives are a sunk barge full of rocks, a artificial reef made of rocks, a break wall made of rocks with a blown up salvaged ship at the end, and a steam crane. If you like rocks we got it.

I live in Muskegon And the local dives are a sunk barge full of rocks, a artificial reef made of rocks, a break wall made of rocks with a blown up salvaged ship at the end, and a steam crane. If you like rocks we got it.

If the said rocks are under water, I'm always game!!

I've dived to see Indiana rocks, Illinois rocks, Ohio rocks, Kentucky rocks, Wisconsin rocks .... why not Michigan rocks?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys. Good info provided in addition to books and such I already have which discuss wrecks in the area.

One challenge is that there doesn't seem to be many charter boats operating in that area. I know of the Elsie J operated by Jensen Charters out of South Haven. I just saw it running party/dinner cruises several times this weekend as my wife and I enjoyed the Blueberry Festival. Odd looking boat but I guess it's workable for scuba.

Are there any other scuba charters operating out of that section of Michigan from South Haven up to Muskegon?

Kevin Suhr just go his captains license and plans on taking divers out. I don't have a contact number or email address for him but I'll try to get one. Here's his captains info.
CAPTAIN KEVIN CHARTERS, LLC

Here's his boat.
kevin-suhr-boat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom