Soviet Sub To Be Sunk.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

santafejoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
SAN DIEGO - A Soviet-era submarine on display at the San Diego Maritime Museum will join the HMCS Yukon as a dive reef off Mission Bay.

An agreement in principle to sink the B-39 Foxtrot sub was reached this week between officials with the museum, the owners of the vessel and California Ships to Reefs, an organization which seeks out surplus ships to use as artificial reefs for diving and fishing.

"We anticipate sinking the sub in San Diego's wreck alley, where the HMCS Yukon is already a popular attraction and beautiful artificial reef, said Joel Geldin, CSTR's chairman and chief executive officer.

"We are proud to announce this new agreement on the 10th anniversary of the sinking of the Yukon, which has proven the economic and environmental value of man-made reefs," he said.

It wasn't immediately clear when the Foxtrot, which has been in the museum's fleet since 2004, would be sunk.

The 300-foot long diesel-electric submarine served for 20 years during the 1970s and 80s to track U.S. and NATO shipping, according to the museum. It was one of the longest conventional subs ever built.

The B-39 was decommissioned in 1994 and sold to a private group a year later.

Nice.

Is it still open to tour? I'd love to walk inside it and then dive inside it.

Outstanding news, fingers crossed. Presumably there will be some fundraising involved, as there was for Yukon.

I was very pleased to dive Yukon not long after she was placed and to speak with some of the people involved in cleaning and opening her up. I would love to be there for the actual event when it's the Foxtrot's turn.

-Bryan

Very Cool!! My experience with CS2R planning makes me think it'll be within Rec limits, though early on we explored the idea of Tech Wrecks. Part of the public "sell" for cultured reefing projects is the projected $$$ generated for local municipalities. Within Rec limits simply sells more divers, drives more economy, Etc., especially if you took a walking tour onboard before she's scuttled:panicbutton:

Good Luck San Diego!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom