sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenflash1:
Some of the things I've read say it has a 25MB internal memory is this right or just crazy!
I guess that is right. Boy that is a least 4 Pictures. In case no one has noticed Flash dives have Droped a hugh amount in price Even the type they let you use in this camera.
They shoud be puting in at least 5 GB. People should not support Olympus for ripping us off!!!

wannabedivin:
I have been thinking about getting into UW photography for a very long time. I had originally planned on getting the C-7070 but as everyone knows has been discontinued. I am now looking at the sp-350 and the oly cas (PT-030?). I really like the extra large view screen on the back. I don't believe it has been shipped yet, but does anybocy have any thoughts on this camera and suggested strobe.
Have the 5050Z. Just pulled the trigger on B&H Photo an hour ago for the SP-350 & housing. Housing is available have been waiting for awhile.

I just got an SP-350 and PT-030, and have been playing with it the last few days. I haven't used it underwater yet. I researched my purchase on wetpixel and found almost no previous users, and the same issue came up. Fortunately, one owner found a solution not even known to Olympus. Hope this helps "If you go into mode menu, select camera, scroll down to histogram (last item) and select "+-On" the LCD will display at low light (no histogram) and you should see all light levels. You go into menu, mode menu, then select the setup menu. Then arrow down until you run across what appears to be a digital representation of a histogram (its the 4th screen down and the 4th option on that screen). Select this histogram and turn it off. I think Olympus tried to make the screen an active histogram for the novice. Unfortunately when there is low light, the screen is completely black...even with the flash enabled. When you turn the histogram function off, manual mode reverts back to normal." Thank you to CE4Jesus at Wetpixel forums for this and other info he helped me with while choosing this camera.
So far I'm very happy with this camera. If you use it in auto-mode, you get very iffy pictures, but there are a ton of pre-set scene modes including "underwater wide 1" which uses autofocus, "underwater wide 2" with focus fixed at 15 feet, and underwater macro. There are also macro and super macro settings which will allow focus from less than an inch away. The flash level is adustable. The camera will take pictures in raw format and convert them on camera. There is also a program included called Olympus Master that includes raw conversion and editing, but at least on my ancient (Athlon 950) pc, it is painfully slow, as in ten minutes for each edit and no batch editing-each change must be applied separately. I'm looking for a better raw converter program. If you buy this camera, expect to spend a bunch of additional bucks on accessories. It has 25mb internal memory but doesn't come with a card. The xD cards it uses are readily available, but pricey. I would recommend the max.
Currently 1gb, in the future, supposedly up to 4. I bought mine through Fry's outpost for 65 bucks. They list at 115.00. Costco sells a 512 for $59.95. The camera comes with a one use li battery (CR-V3) that has good capacity, but is pricey. You can use two AA's, or AA NimH rechargeables. I haven't tried those, but the nominal capacity is really good. I got a rechargeable CRV-3 and charger/car charger kit from Radio Shack ($59.95, ouch) because I wanted it right away. I've had really good luck with SterlingTek batteries in the past. They sell the battery for $9.95 and the charger for $19.95 on line, but the nominal capacity is quite a bit lower than the Radio-Shack one. I don't know how this translates, but their battery for my Sony had higher than the original and I got two for half the price of one original Sony battery. I'm also looking into filters for underwater use. I've heard good things about the "magic-filter" gel filters and there are also some threaded filters available in the size of the housing port thread. Any suggestions? Hope this helps. I'll post some pics after I go diving with it.

I can't wait to see them. I am still thinking about this camera. Now that the blacking out issue seems to have been resolved, this camera may be back in the running

Not a deal killer, so far, and I've got too much invested e.g., camera, uw case, green water filter, memory, battery/charger, but there are issues. When I first charged up my new battery and put it in the camera for the first time, a few seconds later I got an empty battery warning and the camera stopped and retracted the lens. This happened a couple of times. I thought maybe the battery wasn't fully charged, so I put it back on the charger and got a full charge reading. I wiggled it and got the red light again, so I left it on. In a few minutes it read green, so I put it back in the camera and it worked fine. I got about 45 minutes of use out of it. I thought the issue was my radioshack charger, and it still might be, but I've since read posts on both wetpixel and dpreviews from numerous SP-310/350 owners who have had the same issue. The common theme on those seems to be the use of NimH AA batteries, which have more nominal capacity, but lower voltage (2.4 combined vs. 3 for the CRV-3). It seems the camera may have a voltage threshold (2.8v) according to one of the posters that causes the low bat signal to come on. On the other hand, many of those posting took 45-50 more pictures after the signal and taking the battery out and reinstalling it fixed mine both times. After many apparent e-mails to Oly and visits to repair shops, the concensus seems to be 1) use a CRV-3, not AAs and 2)although putting up a wall, one poster got a "we've got a firmware fix coming in February" out of an Oly repair outlet. I'll reserve judgement until I've got some hours on it and keep posted on the issue.

Well, I just got the SP-350 system. I am new to digital photo systems but it seems to be very user friendly. I started with a Nikonos-II and flash bulbs, so go figure. I added the 1gb card for max memory. Is there a wide-angle lens available for this set-up?
Thanks

Oly makes an adapter for the camera body #CLA-9 for $29.00 and both a wide angle and 1.7 lens for it @$99.00 each, but unfortunately they can't be used in the UW case. The UW case has a 46mm thread adaptor on the port ring, but I don't know how that matches up with existing lenses from Inon, etc. Maybe someone else can answer that one. For filters, UR Pro makes 3 different filters in glass or plastic to fit on the 46mm thread. I ordered a green algae one, and will probably get a CYA for blue water diving. They are $77.00 each plus $14.00 S&H. The CLA-9 for topside uses a 34mm thread.

hi Larry C,
can you please tell me how to do white balance on the SP350?
think i'm just a bit over my head with these modern digital cameras!
thanks

can't wait to see some underwater shots from the sp-350!

Back
Top Bottom