sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see someone try that test so I don't have to!
Thanks

phunk:
I second the recommendation to stay away from AA batteries. I had to borrow some AA because I forgot to bring a spare crv3 on the boat last week, and they were dead after a handful of shots. Of course this happened on one of the best dives of the week. :(

Try the Targus CRV3 lithium 1700mAh, they've been lasting me 2.5 dives at more than 40 pix per dive. They are the highest capacity CRV3 I've found:

http://astore.amazon.com/yellowtangsof-20/detail/B000G63NNE/102-3041742-4699324

Eddy.

I've tried AA's and not even gotten the camera to turn on, but I don't have the firmware update. I bought a pair of CRV-3 rechargeables from Radio Shack the day I bought my camera. They're good for two continuous dives shooting RAW, about 200 pictures, and still have enough left over for topside viewing and downloading. Make sure you fully charge them and cycle and recharge them a few times. They get stronger after being cycled and recharged. The original CRV-3's (non-rechargeable) that came with the camera, I've been using in my back-up/topside camera. I've had one in for months shooting occasional topside stuff and still haven't used up the battery.

For a RAW program, I've been using Rawshooter Essentials. It's a free download and very easy to use.

shark.byte.usa:
Working in Manual and Raw, managed to snap off a few photos last weekend in Santa Barbara Island

http://picasaweb.google.com/shark.byte.usa/SantaBarbaraIslandCAUS

What RAW editors do you use? I'm using the Oly Raw image importer for Adobe Photoshop [CS], wondering if there is something better out there to look at

-Garrett

Wow - great photos Garrett! I love the seals.

(Can't help you with the RAW import: I shoot JPG and adjust the colour balance in photoshop).

Cheers,
Rohan.

I tried some expensive disposable AA's on my last trip. Energizer Lithium. 2 Batteries filled 4 1G cards with RAW files before puking. No internal flash. The wierd part was the RAW write times seemed less than when I use Ni-cads. In any case, if I ever go on the dive of a lifetime I'll go ahead and pay anotehr $10 for 4 Lithium Batteries because I didn't have to open the housing all day.

BTW - the guy that recommended Mobys...can you tell me what your RAW write times are with that setup?

Cheers,
Gary

What RAW editors do you use?

I use the one built into CS2. I really don't like the Olympus one. I've also tried Bibble and Rawshooter....both are freeware RAW processors. I like RAWShooters workflow but I like the colors produced by CS2 better. Haven't really done a whole lot with Bibble yet.

Larry C:
For a RAW program, I've been using Rawshooter Essentials. It's a free download and very easy to use.
Thanks Larry that one seems to work much much better than the Oly Photoshop Importer. I re-processed my RAW images and they look much better (I think).

http://picasaweb.google.com/shark.byte.usa/SantaBarbaraIslandCAUS

ce4jesus:
I use the one built into CS2. I really don't like the Olympus one. I've also tried Bibble and Rawshooter....both are freeware RAW processors. I like RAWShooters workflow but I like the colors produced by CS2 better. Haven't really done a whole lot with Bibble yet.
Thanks, I only have CS and it doesn't support the OLY raw file the plug-in only goes to v2.4. I'll have to download Bibble and try it out...

Tassie_Rohan:
Wow - great photos Garrett! I love the seals.
Thanks, for the sea lions I just used the UW Wide2 preset and shot about 50 pictures, mostly blurs, butts & blobs, but I managed a couple keepers :D

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Thanks, I only have CS and it doesn't support the OLY raw file the plug-in only goes to v2.4. I'll have to download Bibble and try it out...
-Garrett

If you look on the Oly site, they have a PS plug-in. Adobe stopped doing the PS7 one I needed and they originally SOLD it for $125!!! Oly had it on their web page and you can just download it for which ever operating system you have. I tried it, but at least on PS7, I still like the Rawshooter better. It's not perfect, but I can follow it up with corrections in PS7 (a lot of times just the autolevels button) and get pretty decent results.

Larry C:
If you look on the Oly site, they have a PS plug-in. Adobe stopped doing the PS7 one I needed and they originally SOLD it for $125!!! Oly had it on their web page and you can just download it for which ever operating system you have. I tried it, but at least on PS7, I still like the Rawshooter better. It's not perfect, but I can follow it up with corrections in PS7 (a lot of times just the autolevels button) and get pretty decent results.
That what I was talking about when I said Oly Photoshop Importer, it's the OLY provided application to manipulate and import the RAW files into PS CS and lower. I didn't like it, Rawshooter was much better. Actually it was pretty useless, just using the jpg and auto levels produced better results than RAW and the OLY provided app. The white balance/color temperature adjustment didn't work very well. Rawshooter did the job well enough for me, thanks for the tip.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15997

I just wanted to show everyone a focus light I've found really handy for those overcast days or deeper dives. This is a Sea&Sea hotshoe adapter, short version. On it is the Suprema 44LED light. I've used them on several dives together now. You don't really notice much during daylight until you're trying to focus on that shrimp tucked up under a ledge. It really improves your focus time in lowlight. Anyway, I finally read through all the posts on this thread. LarryC and I cut our teeth on the SP350 about the same time however I've primarily stayed over on the wetpixel site. I've now got this little rig pretty jazzed up. Suprema focus light, hotshoe adapter, FL20 with housing, Sunpak, TLC arms, Bionica Base with 2 handles. I'll probably follow LarryC's lead with the YS110 as soon as I can convince the wife it'll make a difference! I see this site has a few more regular users with a bit more info on the camera in general. Just to share, here's some of my photos since I've had the camera. I actually have a few more from 3 trips this year I've yet to post. http://www.cupsonline.net/MembersSh...ameyMemberStillGallery/tabid/134/Default.aspx

Dive Safe!

Gary

Back
Top Bottom