SP G250 jam nut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was never about the money, as we probably all own the tool anyway. Simon has one forged on Mount Fuji from a meteorite that landed a millennia ago . The Fellowship of Spline was about freeing us from the evil of the proprietary nut.

I don't remember if it was mentioned in this or the other thread but the Halcyon-branded G-250V supposedly uses a regular nut.

It does but the barrel is longer so not sure how much thread it would leave on a G250.

You are def not coming to my party.

It does but the barrel is longer so not sure how much thread it would leave on a G250.

You are def not coming to my party.

I was just teasing so don't get upset. I know you are searching for the "One wrench to unscrew them all".

In a previous post, the comment was made about people owning the G-250V and the G-260 having to use a washer or "buy the wrench". I was just pointing out that in another thread it was mentioned that the Halcyon-branded G-250V uses a regular jam nut. This could be an option for them, I was not suggesting its use on a G-250.

Personally, I think we need to find someone with access to the latest Scubapro schematics so we can see how many different jam nuts SP made and then spec them. I would assume the R-series all used the same size nut, but that may be an incorrect assumption. We already know the G-250 and G250V use a different nut. I would also assume that the newer G-500, S-550, S-555, S-600, and G250HP all use the same nut, but what about when SP changed the air barrel on the S-600 to metal. Did the nut change?

Reviving this thread as I am encountering this issue with my 4 G250V's from @buddhasummer. The issue I am facing is not that I don't have the SP tool (I actually have 2), but you can't hold on to the jam nut with the SP tool and tighten the non-splined hose with a wrench. I really don't want to grab onto the jam nut with a pair of channel-locks. Yes, I realize padding, like black electrical tape, will help protect it, but still.

Is the solution to get the Halcyon Halo nut? Closest Halcyon dealer is about an hour away in Boulder, CO, so I wanted to check here first.

@couv @rsingler ?

Ain't that a pain?
I've talked to Bruce at Scubatools about that issue, but he wasn't convinced of the need for a thin, side attachment wrench. I even sent him a design. You might ping him too.

So here my solution:
I got a splined wrench that I was willing to sacrifice, and ground the ends off so that I could press the splines into place without sliding it over the hose.
20201218_093517.jpg

Next, I took my grinder, and ground it down to about 3mm thick, so it fits over the narrow remaining portion of that G250 nut.

By pressing hard against against the regulator nut with the thin half wrench, you can torque the hose without overtightening the reg nut.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Rob, it does help. I had the same thought, but I just bought my 2 ScubaTools wrenches (The regular one, and the travel/just a wrench wrench) back in Aug of this year. Hacking one of them up will really irk me. However, I am sure it's cheaper than buying 4 (minimum) nuts at $25 each!!! LOL

Yesterday, before I stumbled on this thread I called Randy at Piranha yesterday about the Atomic nuts you told me about. He does not carry them but was genuinely interested in the problem. I think he's basically right across the street from Bryan. I might tell Randy about this thread.

I just booked my next dive trip to Mexico for early February (if it actually happens). I have about 6 weeks to figure this out, sigh.

Called my local Halcyon dealer (Flatirons Scuba in Broomfield, CO), who I have actually never used before, and he said the Halcyon Halo nuts were ~$7.00 ea. Less than I was expecting. I needed 4 at a minimum, so ordered 6. I should have them after Jan 1. I'll update this after I get them and have them installed. The Atomic nuts from Leisure Pro were $14.95 ea :eek: , and I wasn't confident they would fit correctly.

Reviving this thread as I am encountering this issue with my 4 G250V's from @buddhasummer. The issue I am facing is not that I don't have the SP tool (I actually have 2), but you can't hold on to the jam nut with the SP tool and tighten the non-splined hose with a wrench. I really don't want to grab onto the jam nut with a pair of channel-locks. Yes, I realize padding, like black electrical tape, will help protect it, but still.

Is the solution to get the Halcyon Halo nut? Closest Halcyon dealer is about an hour away in Boulder, CO, so I wanted to check here first.

@couv @rsingler ?

Get the halo jam nut if you can, I did,thank you @Geo7.

Looking for a way to secure the jam nut while removing the SP splined hose nut, I found Knipex 4134165 locking pliers. Narrow jaw width of 0.2" works to hold the jam nut while using Scubatools splined wrench on the hose nut.

The Knipex is loosely installed on the nut with the jaws open, then the adjustment screw is finger tightened to engage the nut splines. This avoids clamping down and marring the nut, while the teeth still engage the splines securely enough to get the job done without using padding. It might not be the ideal solution, but works much better than other channel locks etc I have tried

I would purchase a Scubatools made tool for this purpose. I have found the jam and hose nuts can be practically welded together with corrosion on some auction G250s, and once broke a G250 body trying to remove the hose without securing the jam nut.

modplie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom