• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SP pilot regulator

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by DDB, Nov 5, 2019.

1. DDB

DDB Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Luis and rsingler thank you very much. Luis, can you get that into the VDH Manuals? Have not started tearing into the pilot yet, it’s my winter project when I get down to my boat. Think I read something about a ball bearing and a rocking boat.

John C. Ratliff likes this.
  2. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Finally, the bottom half of the poppet retainer assembly does NOT disassemble!
    20181127_185511.jpg
    That's the flange just to the left of the orange oring where the pin protrudes.
    Despite this diaphragm that looks like the knife edge slips inside the retainer:
    Screenshot_20191106-100128_Chrome.jpg
    Part 99 knife edge is press fit inside the retainer and cannot be removed or serviced. They means that the famous "6 tiny bubbles per minute" that are "supposed to leak" from a properly tuned Pilot are actually likely a leak from a deteriorated knife edge seal against the extremely tiny oring #94.
    20181127_230421.jpg
    Can't be fixed, except by using the softest duro you can find for that oring.

John C. Ratliff and Kupu like this.
  3. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Buy Regulator Savvy. It's all explained there in great detail.
    Screenshot_20191106-101910_Gallery.jpg

John C. Ratliff likes this.
  4. Seahuntjerry

Seahuntjerry Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    The Smallest o ring is the almost impossible on to change.I know Pete Wolfinger made a tool to line it up.