Spare spring straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a fin spring break?

No - but I stopped using mine if anyone wants to buy a pair. $30 + flat rate shipping ($6.85).

I've had two sets of spring straps since the 80's, the first were standard equipment on Farra Fins and not transferable to another fin, and the second was the first set I could find for my jets, after the Farra Fins bit the dust.

Never had, or heard of, a set of spring straps failing.

Bob

Deep6 does not have extra spring straps for sale.

The nut slipped off a spring strap screw on my Halcyons once, but I can't imagine a steel spring itself failing. (I make a point now in my pre-dive gear check to see that the screws are secure.) The Deep6 Eddy spring and its screw connections look as solid as any.

Back when I used fins with a rubber strap, I would indeed bring a spare on trips. But a steel spring? Nah.

My fin related save-a-dive kit item is an extra fin. I lost one of my Deep6 fins on, quite possibly, the calmest/gentlests/easiest dive I've ever done in Key Largo (getting back on the boat). I emailed them to see if they would sell me one fin and they basically sent me a new pair for half the cost so now I have 3. I carry them all around with me for liveaboards and warm water trips.
Honestly, if you have spring straps and check the nut like @Lorenzoid mentioned, you're more likely to lose a fin like I did rather than have something on it break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom