Spear fishing!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have my own gun but I'm dying to try spearfishing. Hooked after getting a few lionfish down in T&C. If anyone is ever looking for a buddy to spear with in the Virginia area I'd happily jump at the chance to learn.

Many people spear during the winter months, or does the fishing stop once the water cools down?

Pretty much slows down with the water temperature. Did get out to the Morgan about a week ago, 30ft+ vis and 59F temp top to bottom. Hit some Tautog and even a 26 inch Hake.
Best bet would be to get a 6ft pole spear and a stringer and start with flounder around June/July off Va Beach.
If you jump on board the Miss Lindsey with LDC (Lynnhaven Dive Center, Va Beach) there's usually someone spearfishing and may show you the ropes.
Might be some striper spearfishing going on in the Chesapeake Bay up until the end of the year - but really need a short powerful gun, and better to freedive (vis and current can be an issue!).

Back
Top Bottom