Spearfishing allowed at the Breakwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunkee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at the Breakwater yesterday gearing up for my dive with a buddy of mine around 230pm yesterday. As we're planning our dive we saw two divers come up from the beach with pole spears and plopped their catch of perch and rockfish right next to us. I thought that was pretty odd--I thought no spearfishing was allowed there.

My buddy questioned the diver and the diver wasn't sure of the regs or even the boundaries. My buddy wasn't sure either, but when he said that even if it MAY be legal, the locals may frown upon it. The diver just said, "So?" and began to tell us he was a local right in Pacific Grove. I didn't believe him much since his red/burgundy late model Dodge Ram truck had Fort Bragg military stickers and military plates. My buddy and I, along with a couple of other divers looked on and shook our heads as these guys began to put their gear away. I only wished I'd write down their plate numbers. :(

I'm not a spearfishing-hater, in fact I do spearfish myself, but mostly on the North Coast and definitely no where near the Breakwater or other protected areas.

-eR

Next time call CALTIP They'll sort it out

CALIFORNIA'S SECRET WITNESS PROGRAM
TO HELP STOP POACHING AND POLLUTING
1-888-DFG-CALTIP
(1-888-334-2258)

But the burden of proof is on whom?

I think while "legal" it is more a question of the spearfisher not knowing the regs... and it being appropriate to do so on a crowded weekend...

bad judgment call IMHO

just my .02

BTW Ericson did the rockfish look legal? (size wise)

So um, I have a military registration sticker on my truck from Maryland, but I live in Virginia. . . So when I go to the local dive sites does that not make me local?

Maybe he just PCS'ed or ETS'ed . . .

Ben_ca:
But the burden of proof is on whom?

I think while "legal" it is more a question of the spearfisher not knowing the regs... and it being appropriate to do so on a crowded weekend...

bad judgment call IMHO

just my .02

BTW Ericson did the rockfish look legal? (size wise)

They looked barely legal. Dang I had my camera too.... I should have asked them to pose in front of their truck with their catch... Next time...

-eR

If 60' is the reg then it would be illegal for them to walk out onto the beach as they couldnt prove they didnt take the fish on the way in...

Just like having abs and scuba gear on....

c...

You go kick his *** next time Ericson, I'll back you up. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom