Spearfishing class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSU#1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went spearfishing in Duck Key last Nevember and loved it. Unfortunately the outfit that took me was hammered by the hurricane and not back in business yet.

I am taking my family on a spring break vacation, and would like to introduce my kids to the sport with training and the opoortunity to hunt. Spring break is the first week of March. Any suggestions on where to go?? My children are 23 & 24 and certified recreational divers. Thanks!!

My daughter and I went with Sam Fsetz of Force-E Scuba in Pompano Beach area hunting lionfish for day and night dives. Awesome guy, very competent and patient.
(954)943-3483.

I went spearfishing in Duck Key last Nevember and loved it. Unfortunately the outfit that took me was hammered by the hurricane and not back in business yet.

I am taking my family on a spring break vacation, and would like to introduce my kids to the sport with training and the opoortunity to hunt. Spring break is the first week of March. Any suggestions on where to go?? My children are 23 & 24 and certified recreational divers. Thanks!!

I would recommend picking up the instructional DVD, "The Bare Bones of Spearfishing" Ocean Rhino Bare Bones Of Spearfishing DVD

Chad Carney is the only person I know of that actually teaches spearfishing techniques for scuba. Florida Skin Diver

I would recommend picking up the instructional DVD, "The Bare Bones of Spearfishing" Ocean Rhino Bare Bones Of Spearfishing DVD

Chad Carney is the only person I know of that actually teaches spearfishing techniques for scuba. Florida Skin Diver

Divers Supply advertised a course (you probably even get a silly card), and I made a mental note at the time. So I assume other shops offer such a course, too. But Chad is the real deal for learning spearfishing, you think?

Chad is the real deal for learning spearfishing, you think?

I think nothing beats experience. I've never met Chad, but have heard he is a good instructor and the only one I know who can actually backup claims of being a spearo. I've had instructors brag about spearfishing and as the conversation progresses you learn they are full of spit and stroking their ego.

The DVD is really good. Kevin is an experienced commercial spearfisherman and builds spearguns, so you can bet you're getting a career of knowledge in the DVD. There are excellent tips and techniques explained.

I think it takes being a very good, self reliant diver first to be a good spearo and land good, legal fish with little to no impact on the environment. This is always the number one piece of advice I've heard and I've taken it seriously.

Last edited:
BTW, If someone says they'll give you a spearfishing card, I'd take my business elsewhere. lol

You bet. I don't care about cards, but I do tend to seek out formal training from really knowledgeable people over learning things on my own. Learning spearfishing has been on my radar for a while, but knowing how I like to learn from a real teacher, I have been uncertain how to proceed.

Thanks, I didn't take a course, but I did had a guide teach me how to load the gun properly. He also dove with me and we worked on sizing legal fish to take. Also correctly euthanizing the fish after they had been speared, and getting them on a stringer. The cost was $225 through Dive Duck Key at Hawks Cay Resort. I thought it was a good way to learn the basics and make sure the fish were legal size before attempting to harvest. In the two dives I took 2 hogfish, a red grouper, and a lion fish. I think there operation is currently disrupted due to the hurricane damage. Thanks for the other information.

.... But Chad is the real deal for learning spearfishing, you think?

I'll 2nd CuzzA 's recommendation of Chad Carney. I've known him for years and he is one of the most patient and effective teachers for both scuba and freediving spearfishing. I think he's best at watching the student and teaching him the steps to get closer to a fish without spooking it and then making sure you have the correct body position and confidence to make 100% of your shots hit, without a miss. He'll look at what you know and make you better, rather than open the book at page 1 for every student. As an example, one of the 1st things he'll look at before you even touch the water is your personal gear and if you are correctly weighted. Most divers are overweighted in the water and can't get the proper trim. You absolutely will go home with a cooler of speared fish after his class. His contact/website is:
http://www.floridaskindiver.com

I have read and re read this thread
As one who began as a spear fisherman long before Cousteau and his bubble machine graced our shores I am amazed that the art of spearfishing is being taught for $$$. But that is progress and certainly better than trial and error or the old stand by monkey see monkey do...

Over 25 years ago there was a board titled "Free dive list." Seventeen years ago they organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free Dive Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing. The 50 or so fathers came from all points of the globe for this last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, Allan (Omar) Wood and my self

In honor of the event and the Fathers I posted the following on the Free Dive List:

"We Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing have been honored as pioneer participants in a noble sport where one matches their skill in a very hostile environment with that of his finny adversary in an activity that has become internationally known as "Spearfishing."

Spearfish with great dignity and pride in this the noblest of all man's activities, but with restraint and selective spearfishing rather than wholesale slaughter, for with every activity there is a Beginning; a Middle; and an End............"

We the "Fathers" of this great activity were honored to have been a participant in the Beginning, we are some where in the Middle and if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always remember this:

"if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last fifteen years ~~ One by one they have passed on and are now diving on that big reef in the sky.

One of the Fathers and all time great spearfishermen was Florida's own Art Pender, You may want to read his obituary on this board in "Passings" "Art Pender, King of sling."

SDM

Back
Top Bottom