Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello!

Would like to remind that scuba spearfishing on Cozumel is NOT allowed.
Even when you are outside the marine park, no scuba spearfishing.
So please don´t do it.
(spearfishing on Cozumel means all snorkeling/freediving)

Reason for my post is that I see (with own eyes, so no hearsay) respectable scuba companies doing it.
Of course I contacted them directly.
So I thought it can't be harmful also posting it here.

Even if it is being offered to you, it is illegal.

Enjoy Cozumel.

Leo

Is it illegal for locals to do it outside the marine park? I know many that do. I've been invited several times.

Can someone please clarify whether there are separate rules for Lionfish? Or is there simply a generalized understanding to look the other way when Lionfish are involved?

Is it illegal for locals to do it outside the marine park? I know many that do. I've been invited several times.
My mom used to say, "If they jumped of a bridge, would you do it too?" Spearfishing while using scuba equipment is illegal in Mexican waters, no matter what passport you hold. It is a Mexican federal fisheries regulation backed by federal law that says spearfishing is limited to free-divers; no scuba equipment or pneumatic spearguns are allowed while spearfishing in Mexican waters.

I saw a couple of locals spearfishing along the south side of the Fiesta Americana pier and working their way south. I wondered if it was legal or not.

It is my understanding that Hawiaan Slings are OK, indeed encouraged by the National Park for Lion Fish control and it seems to work pretty well. Pneumaticaly powered spears are of course banned but every seafood meal you get in Cozumel probably comes from one. Can't you see all the fishermen leaving every AM with tanks and big spear guns?

Which politically correct person wants to challenge the de facto Lion Fish control wisdom?

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Thirty years ago when I first started diving in Cozumel, I want to say that there were dive shops that made spears available to patrons, so long as the diving (on Scuba) was outside the Marine Park.

Did I dream this, and if not, when did it change?

I think this thread began by addressing the practice of illegally spearfishing for sport while on scuba, not the practice of spearing the invasive lionfish.

While the park guardians may turn a blind eye, or even encourage the taking of lionfish with a Hawaiian sling, spearfishing while using scuba equipment or pneumatic spear guns is against the law in Mexico. The idea that it is OK for “locals” to do it anyway uses the same flawed logic that says it is OK to break the laws against hunting turtles, digging turtle eggs, shooting deer, or taking conch, as long as you are a local and are going to feed your family with the catch. There are over 80,000 locals on the island. Is it OK for all of them to spearfish whatever kind of fish they want to target while using scuba gear?

Where is the line drawn on breaking the conservation laws in Mexico? If it’s OK to break the law against spearfishing with scuba, is it OK to fish with a gill net? OK to use dynamite, so long as you are feeding your catch to your family?

old times.jpg

Spearfishing on scuba didn’t used to be against the law. Back in the day, everyone did it. The sea had an unlimited abundance of fish, turtles, conch, and black coral, all free for the taking. But after a while, the unlimited amounts began to dwindle. Conservative elements of Mexican society decided to try to save what was left, by regulating the harvest. The hunting and fishing for some game had to stop altogether so they could recoup their numbers. Other kinds of game just needed to have restrictions put on the methods used in their harvest. Some species managed to return to large numbers… turtles and crocodiles for instance. Other species… not so much. When was the last time you saw humongous groupers tooling around the reef in any significant numbers? How about those gigantic lobsters we all used to eat? Where did they all go?

You CAN spearfish legally in Mexico, just not on scuba.

Dear Ric,

I take no issue with you on the big spear fishing for other specie while on Scuba. I just don't want everyone's panties to get in a wad because we use slings to control the lion fish.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom