spearfishing in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newcal

New
Reaction score
Anybody knows about bringing in a speargun through customs when landing in Nadi Fiji?
Thanks

It's not that I don't like fish (to eat), it's that there are so many places that are overfished, I would not ever encourage anyone to spearfish where I plan to dive and enjoy the bio-diversity of the reef. What's one more or less fish to anyone?
I say, that's what all the whaling countries say. I know it makes a difference to the fish! Leave the hunting to the locals, it's already bad enough. :upset:
Is this going to be for subsistence, or fun? I am sure it's not fun for the fish. How about you enjoy the scenery and don't destoy it.

Caymaniac
:boom:

Try www.spearboard.com .

You can post your question there and get something productive instead of bunny hugging bull*&it you get from these save the world do gooders over here.

By the way, Caymanac, which is worse:

a] a person selectively spearing a few fish to eat

or

b} a commercial boat indiscriminately dragging it's nets and killing every animal it touches.

Or maybe it is less offensive to you to see your dinner killed? If you eat fish don't whine here about spearfishermen. People like you make me sick with your Holier Than Thou attitude.

I did not see any fish at Fiji big enough to spear.

I would also be surprised if the boat let you take a spear or speargun with you. Too many tourists.

Did you call ahead to the scuba resort and ask about this?

ouachita once bubbled...
...which is worse:

a] a person selectively spearing a few fish to eat

or

b} a commercial boat indiscriminately dragging it's nets and killing every animal it touches.

Actually, one of Nature's own wonders, a hurricane (called a cyclone in the South Pacific) will do more damage to a reef than any man-made disaster.

Hey, hey, hey....calm down folks! I was not prepared for this type of response. Caymaniac...your response is pretty judgemental...My intention was definitely not to create controversy. Thanks to ouachita and Karl-in-calif...they are right...we are talking about spearfishing for fun and food...there are no fish stores where I am going and certainly no scuba noisy air guzzling "divers" overloaded with tons of the latest gizmos!
Did you ever wonder about the impact of scuba diving on the reefs? Anyway, this thread was not intended as a provocation or anything, it was an innocent question, I should have chosen the spearboard instead...Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom