SPEC Boots for MK10 and MK15 primary regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finishing up a huge project that has to do with mask cleaning. All but done, AFAIC. Just a write-up is needed.

Turning the guns onto another stalled project, SPEC boots.

@raftingtigger sent me a GORGEOUS hard polymer form:
Tig Form.jpg

Let's give this the attention that it deserves. So, Tigger is obviously a printing genius. Any chance that @couv and @raftingtigger can get together and make 5 similar forms from too small to too large that will cover both the MK10's and MK15's? I will make boots out of different polymers in graded sizes and send them to couv for his final assessment as to the perfect size and material.

My big vac pump is up and running so I can degass just about anything. :)

You guys make the forms and I make the molds???

Hi @lowvis

I don't have the capability to create forms of any sort. tigger sent me the boots that I have. I also have to admit manufacturing, boots, forms, molds, machining, etc is way over my head.

However, I will be willing to donate a MK10 with a SPEC groove that can be sacrificed to serve as a form. You can machine it down a few mm so the boots will have a tight fit. I think I should also be able to come up with a MK15 too. Unfortunately, the MK5 never had a SPEC groove so the only boot that will work on that model will just be an overlay. @rsingler had some success with a bicycle inner tube.

Sounds like a worthwhile project!

Couv

No, no. Just give Tig the dimensions (your 5 best guesses of diameters and lengths) that will likely span the two (three) regs. She's got it from there. All I need are her hard polymer forms, no way I can do that myself...

@raftingtigger, you game?

I am running a very similar project. My idea is to build an aluminium mold for the Mk10 SPEC boot, and use it for casting silicon rubber boots.
I just ordered this liquid silicon rubber on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07H5S9VP5
They also have another version at just 20 shore hardness, but for the first batch I will use this one at 30 shore.
There is also the possibility to 3D-print directly parts in PU rubber (which is black, too), but this is much more expensive, approximately 40 euros per piece!

I am running a very similar project. My idea is to build an aluminium mold for the Mk10 SPEC boot, and use it for casting silicon rubber boots.

There's no need to use an aluminium mold. You can use a harder durometer of silicone to make a mold of the SPEC boot. And then cast the silicone SPEC boots in the mold.

You will need a good vacuum degasser, and possibly a pressure pot.

here the dimensions in mm:
Spec-Boot-plan.png

Spec-Boot-Side.png

Can you verify that these dimensions are OK for a MK10?

Attachments

• Side.png
    Side.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Spec-Boot-Side.png
    Spec-Boot-Side.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 129

Back
Top Bottom