Spectre out of Ventura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm taking a trip to Ventura the last weekend of the month and looking at going out on the Spectre on Friday February 24th. I don't have a dive buddy for that day, what are the chances that I could tag along with other people on the boat? I would hate to just assume that I would be able to find a buddy on the boat and end up going for a boat ride and not diving.

I believe they would help you find a buddy, I've seen it happen, but I would call them just in case...I'm a bit of a worry wart.

I'm sure they would try, but in my experience, you may not be thrilled with the result.

By the way, the Spectre has a fantastic barbecue chicken lunch.

I believe they would help you find a buddy, I've seen it happen, but I would call them just in case...I'm a bit of a worry wart.

I'll give them a call, I'm the same way! Thanks!

I'm sure they would try, but in my experience, you may not be thrilled with the result.

That doesn't bother me as much as not being able to get in the water. Diving in the ocean here in Colorado is hard to come by... LOL

By the way, the Spectre has a fantastic barbecue chicken lunch.

If it is anything like it was back in the mid 90's I'm sure it is!

Good reputation.

Only been on the boat once, lots of fun, good food, good crew.

My go to boats in that area-Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara.

Southern California boats are, IMHO, usually very good.

You will not have any problem getting in the water.

Enjoy your time there. Late fall and mid winter, if the storms clear, excellent diving.

You will want to check with the Spectre, Peace, Raptor and Explorer to confirm which of them will even be running out on that Friday. If you were to be going out on Saturday or Sunday, you'd have lots of options and likely full boats with plenty of "buddy up" options.
Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California
Scuba dive trips, snorkeling and gear rental off California's Channel Islands
Peace Dive Boat | Channel Islands Scuba Diving, Lobster Hunting & More
Explorer Diving Aventures - Home Page

Truth Aquatics is awesome! - but not an option for a 1 day boat dive on your date.

I'm taking a trip to Ventura the last weekend of the month and looking at going out on the Spectre on Friday February 24th. I don't have a dive buddy for that day, what are the chances that I could tag along with other people on the boat? I would hate to just assume that I would be able to find a buddy on the boat and end up going for a boat ride and not diving.
No problem on that boat just let the DM or Captain know when you board they will handle it.

I'm not advocating for it with your dive count, but just FYI for farther down the road, it's my impression the California dive scene is a lot more permissive of solo diving than many places. Not sure what the Spectre's position is.

Richard.

The Spectre is a good boat with good service. I have to echo Richards concerns for you as a newer diver. Have you dove the Channel Islands before? Your average dive in Socal is much more like an intermediate level dive from the perspective of vizibility, current, cold water and navigation. The crew will do their best to buddy you up, but that can yield results that can range from very good to very poor. An option: see if the Spectre Office knows if a dive shop has any classes or dive masters going out on the boat that day. You could potentially hook up with the class or their staff. Although you may not want to sit in the sand and do mask drills, classes usually get in several tours and that would be enjoyable. Also, tell the office your situation and ask them if they have any suggestions. Some operations have "buddy friends" that will assist newer divers on trips for a fee which is less than hiring a professional DM. Ocean Safari dive shop in San Gabriel CA offers this on their boat trips. In general, if you book a boat trip through a reputable dive shop and explain to them your level of experience and interest they will do their best to take care of you and set you up with a buddy they probably know will be a good partner for you. Finally, diving here is "worth the stretch", enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom