Sperm Whale At 1800 Feet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
What would you do it you came eye to eye with a sperm whale at 1800 feet below the surface of the ocean? Sea Save | Facebook
Capture.JPG

A couple of years ago I was involved in a project to turn a marine biology textbook into an online marine biology class, and I learned a heck of a lot about marine biology in the process. The section on sperm whales was simply astonishing to me. The fact that a mammal can go from the surface to 1,800 feet (and well beyond that) is simply astonishing when you consider what hat pressure would do to mammals like us.

By my (possibly incorrect) calculations, the pressure at that depth would be OVER 800 PSI!!!! Amazing that the Sperm Whale can go to that depth without becoming a pancake!!

Adam

By my (possibly incorrect) calculations, the pressure at that depth would be OVER 800 PSI!!!! Amazing that the Sperm Whale can go to that depth without becoming a pancake!!

Adam
As I understand it, their rib cage can fold in to prevent that kind of damage.

A couple of years ago I was involved in a project to turn a marine biology textbook into an online marine biology class, and I learned a heck of a lot about marine biology in the process. The section on sperm whales was simply astonishing to me. The fact that a mammal can go from the surface to 1,800 feet (and well beyond that) is simply astonishing when you consider what hat pressure would do to mammals like us.
They are amazing creatures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom