SPG - Confusion about sizes and types of gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a number of older Sherwood Regulators that I love. Two of them have Dacor SPGs and one is Sherwood. I need to replace one (maybe two) of them. When I pulled it out and measure it the diameter was 2 3/8 inches. I would like to replace them but all that I can find is 2 inch gauges.

Is this the total size/diameter or is the face? I do find some HOG, XS, & DiveRite (all by the same Italian manufacture, I'm told) brass & glass gauges which have some pretty bad reviews, but they do say that the 2 inch is actually 2 1/4 inch diameter with a 2 inch face.

Where can I get some trusty old Dacor (lasted from 1988 to 2012) SPGs?

Or are the 2 inch ones listed by Shewood actually 2 1/4?

Can someone help me with the confusion?

Does anyone have any trusty older SPG gauges for sale? Or some new trusty 2 3/8 (2 1/4?) to sale?

Do you have to put the SPG back into a console, or could you just use it bare?

I have to put it back in the console.

---------- Post added ----------

Dive Gear Express sell the two different sizes. I use the smaller one 1.75" face (total 2"), but they sell the larger one too 2" face (total 2.5").

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

I really want to put one in that is similar. I've looked the one you mentioned and I don't believe, at 2 1/2 inches, it will fit. I guess I'm asking for an older one that does fit, or what does someone do with the newer one that (I think) are smaller. Or are the new "plastic" ones that they say are 2" really 2 1/4"?

---------- Post added ----------

Well, I went to one of my 2 favorite Dive Shops today - drove 1 1/2 to the coast to South Beach Scuba (Newport, Oregon) and Pete helped me. Before I went over I was able to twist of the top of the Dacor SPG and tighten some screws - can't do that with todays plastic SPGs. It turns out that I did not need a new gauge and hose - only the two tiny "o-rings" in the spindle. My backup reg did need a new SPG and they helped me change it out and we tested it together - Works!!! I also picked up 2 of my tanks that had been "vis"ed.

So the answer is, the SPGs called "2 inches" are actually 2 1/4 inches, so new ones fit in my console. However, some of the older gauges are deeper and so I needed to find a similar model - still looking for some vintage Dacor SPGs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom