SPG O-Ring Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,

I just put on new SPGs onto my HP hoses...added a Scubapro 138 o-ring...and the o-ring is being pinched. Am I doing something totally wrong?

Pics included with small Lego pointing at the pinched o ring location :)

Attachments

• 20200110_211138.jpg
    20200110_211138.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200110_211126.jpg
    20200110_211126.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 108
^^^^^^^
What he said.

Not only is it pinched, the SPG won’t rotate either.:wink:

Bob

Thanks!!

Yup, brand new spool is lubed and installed.

I figured since the transmitter that was on it had an o ring there, this one would need it as well. I had an o ring leak at that seal before and it blew out air on a dive. Tightened that o ring and was good after that.

The SPG still rotates, at the joint on the other side of the nut....er...maybe that is when it is not pressurised? I have not hooked it up to tanks, yet, as I just sold my last one tonight. New ones are at the shop getting finished.

The transmitter has that o ring to seal it when it is attached to a first stage HP outlet.

If you attach the transmitter to a hose, it needs a spool just like a gauge does and the big o ring should be removed.

As mentioned above, the gauge just needs a spool and no other o ring.

Ah ok...I will just leave the o ring off, then. Figured it would keep that chamber dry and clean.

Tightening down that connection without that o ring is metal on metal...just got to be gentle right?

I very much appreciate all the quick expertise and explanations!!

Water can get into the threads from the connection between the nut ant the hose. It's not water sealed there.

Tighten just a little more than hand tight. Use an appropriate size wrench. Everything is relatively soft brass under the chrome and you can deform the brass with too much force, but you want it just tight enough so it doesn't come loose during the dive

Greetings,

I just put on new SPGs onto my HP hoses...added a Scubapro 138 o-ring...and the o-ring is being pinched. Am I doing something totally wrong?

Pics included with small Lego pointing at the pinched o ring location :)

Andrew...

Here's your sequence...the only ''O'' rings are on your spool...should be changed every season...they're dynamic...they work very hard...and are are the most frequently neglected...pre-clean both hose/SPG mating surfaces...Q-Tips work very well...lube spool ''O'' rings...I use oxygen compatible grease...

W.W...

SPG.jpg

Andrew...

Here's your sequence...the only ''O'' rings are on your spool...should be changed every season...they're dynamic...they work very hard...and are are the most frequently neglected...pre-clean both hose/SPG mating surfaces...Q-Tips work very well...lube spool ''O'' rings...I use oxygen compatible grease...

W.W...

View attachment 560842
Warren- Every season? So... winter, spring, summer, & fall then?
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom