SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been in a situation where it was critical to get at the SPG immediately.

daniel f aleman:
Possible.

But, I want that SPG in my face at all times, and it is NOT tightly bungeed to the inflater hose. Also, I'll bet that you've found yourself in a tight enough space where you could not physically reach down with your left hand, unhook the SPG, and bring it up to your face, I have. But, as it were, when diving with a team in in cave/overhead, I attach to the left waist D-ring to stay uniform...

Please look at the picture in the link. HP hoses are generally harder to bend than the low pressure hoses. In this picture, if I want to quickly pinch off the flow to the inflator, I have to make sure the HP hose doesn't get in the way. The HP hose may delay me being able to pinch off the LP inflator hose. Disconnecting a stuck inflator is not the quickest way to combat a stuck inflator. Even if you do try to disconnect, as others have indicated, it could be stuck. At this point you are generally screwed if you don't shut down the flow. What's the quickest way? Pinch the LP inflator hose.

Go aheads and try to pinch a SP HP hose sometime. I don't use them, but some people do.

Tamas:
How so? The two hoses are on opposite sides of the inflator. Care to explain?

Well, you have now. What are you going to do if that inflator ever gets stuck?

Xanthro:
Are you suggesting actually trying to pinch off the inflator hose itself? I've never heard of that.

Lets take a step back:

Reasons for:
- Easier to read gauge
- No chance of having a stage bottle slam into it
- Not "DIR" (Some people like being different for no good reason other than to be different)

Reasons against:
- Non standard
- Complicates some emergency procedures
- In the way/in face/clutter
- Sits bellow chest plane presenting minor entanglement hazard

Since we can all agree that instant access to your SPG is not critical, I don't see a winner. I also don't see how it is even possible to slam a stage bottle so hard that it breaks, but someone listed it, so its there. Did I miss any?

I'm sure there will be more coming soon :wink:

JimC:
Lets take a step back:

Reasons for:
- Easier to read gauge
- No chance of having a stage bottle slam into it
- Not "DIR" (Some people like being different for no good reason other than to be different)

Reasons against:
- Non standard

Since we can all agree that instant access to your SPG is not critical, I don't see a winner. I also don't see how it is even possible to slam a stage bottle so hard that it breaks, but someone listed it, so its there. Did I miss any?

Dan Gibson:
I have never been in a situation where it was critical to get at the SPG immediately.

Well then, you've pretty much negated any real-world SPG use for recreational diving. For me, the SPG is my emergency notifier of any critical loss of gas, especially at depth.

Although, I've stated else-where on these boards that I first dove with a J-valve and no SPG...

And as far as non-standard... I've walked the walk. :14:

JimC:

why does everything have to be DIR for you guys?! Do you realize that there are other drivers out there not living in a bubble right? The fact that is not DIR or DIR makes no difference here as there are multiple correct ways of gear configuration

JimC:
Reasons against:
- Non standard

see above

JimC:

have you ever tried it? or this one of those "ideas" that someone embeded like the bungied wings issues that DIR claims?!

JimC:

on the contrary, right where you need it, no clutter and easy to access.

JimC:

no more then any other device/equipment hanging off diver's body

JimC:
Did I miss any?

yes you missed it BIG time!

JimC:
You obviously don't dive in cold water.

Last time I had a freeflow, that connector was a solid block of ice.

No, I don't dive in that cold of water. Though any of my equipment freezing solid doesn't sound like much fun for me.

Dan Gibson:
Well, you have now. What are you going to do if that inflator ever gets stuck?

Honestly, I would not have expected pinching the hose to be all that successful, but now we are talking about having two major malfunctions at the same time, inflator stuck open and connection stuck. I don't dive under ice or in 30 degree water, so either occuring becomes uncommon, both would be damn near impossible, in what I dive in.

Xanthro:
Honestly, I would not have expected pinching the hose to be all that successful, but now we are talking about having two major malfunctions at the same time, inflator stuck open and connection stuck. I don't dive under ice or in 30 degree water, so either occuring becomes uncommon, both would be damn near impossible, in what I dive in.
No...he is only talking about 1 failure. Stuck open inflater hose. One solution to stop the air flow is to kink the corrugated hose, which would be hard to do with a HP hose linked to it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom