SPG starts leaking on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I guess you can call this a near miss, bc it happened right before I was going to descend. I had even given the descend signal, when my SPG started bubbling pretty strongly. After a bit, had my buddy shut off my air, I kept my SPG high and dry and we swam back (shore dive at Pt Lobos, Carmel). A helpful, experienced diver looked at my SPG, and she simply tightened it on the hose, and I was actually good to go. I had thought it was a catastrophic failure.

I wanted to report this bc I learned some things -

1) An SPG, high pressure hose leak seems like a big deal (lots of violent bubbles), but I only lost about 200 psi in the 2-3 minutes I was leaking. With all the bubbles I thought I was losing gas quickly. Also, I've lost air quickly from free flows (a LP hose), and I figured a HP hose would drain much quicker. But when I looked at my SPG as it hissed air, the needle wasnt really moving. So I assumed that the SPG was compromised and wasnt reporting correctly (note - I may have been influenced by my previous SPG mis-adventures, detailed in a thread below "OOA right at the end of my safety stop"). Turns out the SPG was still working fine -- I was just losing air very slowly, As the experienced diver explained, the hole in a HP hose is so small, it takes forever to drain air.

If the leak had happened at depth, since I wrongly assessed a catastrophic loss of gas, I hope I wouldnt have panicked. We were planning on going pretty deep on this dive (we ended up doing this dive as the 2nd dive, and went to 90'), so if I panicked and ascended quickly, it could have been a bad scene.

2) So I recently replaced a faulty SPG myself. I looked at videos to do it. I thought I did it correctly. Directions were to screw it on the hose, but not overtighten, I guess I didnt tighten it enough. I note that i did two dives on the SPG a month ago with no problems.

I believe that the SPG and reg are all good. I feared that by shutting off the air, water could enter the hose, so I kept the SPG out of the water. We also ran the leak a bit on dry ground, so I hope that flushed out any water,

After it was fixed, I got two dives on it with no problems, so I think Im good.

Last edited:
Some videos for you. It's in russian but self explanatory.

First - low pressure hose failure. Full tank, 18 meters depth, aluminium tank 11.3 litres. First 45 seconds tank is half empty, 2 minutes 35 seconds to completely empty.

Second - same same but high pressure hose. After 19 minutes there's a 60bar still.

It takes quite a while for a tank to empty through even a cut HP hose, there are videos on here of tests done. I was quite surprised, when I first saw it, at exactly how much longer it took than a cut LP hose.

I have had bubbling SPG issues quite a few times over the years, I have found that using a tiny bit of lube on the spool, and avoiding turning the SPG once it's pressurised have reduced these quite a lot.

Re-affirms the value of a bubble check while you are still shallow and in a position to fix it up before it results in a cancelled dive.

EDIT: @Drone076 seems to have had the same thought at the same time!

A HP hose leak will drain the tank slowest and at a constant rate regardless of depth.

Take a look in your HP port next time you take the hose off. The hole is tiny.

One thing I would check is the O ring on the HP hose - is it intact or pitted in any way? If so replace it.
Do you mean the spool? The leak was between the HP hose and SPG.

This might help put the problem into perspective and relates to @bamafan's post above:

full.jpg

(Reprinted by permission)
This table appeared in Life Ending Seconds, 3000 to Zero in 72 Seconds, Advanced Diver Magazine by Curt Bowen

His leak was because the SPG unscrewed from the hose as he twisted the SPG to look at it. O-ring (spool) was fine. 2 wrenches and a firm, but not excessive tightening and then a check for leaks sufficed to fix his problem.

When I looked at it the SPG was partially unscrewed.

His leak was because the SPG unscrewed from the hose as he twisted the SPG to look at it. O-ring (spool) was fine. 2 wrenches and a firm, but not excessive tightening and then a check for leaks sufficed to fix his problem.

When I looked at it the SPG was partially unscrewed.
You were the experienced diver, awesome! Any chance there was water ingress into the SPG?

Back
Top Bottom