Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gpatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello

I have heard that the Spiegel Grove was uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

In my estimation Key Largo had winds of 40 to 50 mph winds, I didn't think the winds were high enough to effect the offshore wrecks.

I going to dive the Spiegel asap! Can anyone verify that the Spiegel is upright?

The Spiegel will be a entirely new dive if this is true!

Glenn

i find that very hard to beleave
im gonna call bs on this one.
let me put it another way.
how many upright wrecks have been fliped due to weather?
and of that size?

Some wrecks have been moved around a bit, broken up some more by hurricanes, but even though its a lot of power in the storm surge (up to 30ft waves according to some buoys off LA coasts from Dennis) its hard to see the wrecks that deep being moved around tremendously - i too am skeptical.

There was just a short news clip about that on cbs news (channel 4/Ft Lauderdale).

lhpdiver:
There was just a short news clip about that on cbs news (channel 4/Ft Lauderdale).
well what did they say.. yah or nah?

I just received an eyewitness confirmation that it's upright.

If the storm was strong enough to upright the Grove, then it was strong enough to tear it apart and all the keys around it and that didn't happen.

Waves that big would have completely covered the keys, which besides some flooding and loss of electrical power, didn't suffer that bad from the storm (as they expected it would be much worse).

This sounds like a "publicity rumor" to get the ship back in the news again.

I can guarentee you that last saturday (july 2nd) when I dove it that it was firmly flipped on it's side.

Until I actually see a photo of this, I ain't buying it...

R

If it is more upright, I wonder how stable it is.

On Monday, the 4th, I can confirm it was upright as well (Great dive as always). Apparently it happened Saturday morning on the 9th. I don't think any boats went out there until today due to the weather (6 to 8+ seas?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom