Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

showboat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:confused:

Hello everyone, I have a question and would like some opinions on some charters in Key Largo. I am between 5 choices to dive next tuesday the 8th in the AM to dive the Spiegel Grove with my fiance.

I am also planning on some diving in Marathon on Wednesday morning and would also like some dive shop preferences.

1. Dive in florida
2. Ocean Divers
3. Scuba-Do
4. Quiescence
5. Island Ventures

If anyone is in the Ft Lauderdale area and would like to join us, please feel free to let me know...

Dan L

i dove the spiegel g 2 weeks ago with quiescence. could not have been happier. well organized, never more than 6 divers and very competent captain. however, if you don't have your AOW they will check your log book for comparable dives in the recent past and they must be signed by a dive operator or instructor. otherwise you are not going.
it is an impressive sight to descend on this huge ship. viz was perfect with a bright blue sky overhead. the current went from significant to ripping during our dive. i felt like a kite hanging on the line during my safety stop. there also were quite a few jelly fish floating by. watch out. one of them got me in the face at 15 ft while i was watching a tarpon and not paying attention. fortunately i did not hurt for long.

SG is the main attraction down there right now...but I have heard that it can be quite crowded.

I did the Thunderbolt down there last year. After we found the bouy (submerged for boaters safety) it turned into a fabulous dive. A couple of big jewfish were there. Unfortunately, I was diving on tables at the time, and one of my buddies had a computer. You could really tell the difference in who had bottom time.

Tbolt is a good alternative if you are looking for a decent wreck dive there. I am sure people can offer other alternatives also.

I would go with Quiessence(sp?) also. I really hate the cattle boats and they consistently run a top notch operation.

I dove with Island Ventures a couple of times and give them two thumbs-up. Brian is a very low-key guy. Feed him crackerjacks and macadamia nuts and he'll do anything for you.

Seriously, great boat and great skipper. Ask Brian if he'd be willing to drop you up current and pick you up down current for a great drift-dive (the current can be strong at times). If the stern bouys are taken no luck, but otherwise he's very accomodating.

Here's his url:
http://www.islandventure.com/

Phone: 305-451-4957 Toll Free: 1-866-293-5006

Look for him at mile marker 104 between the Sundowner and Senior Frijoles restaurants. The shreaded beef chimichanga is great at Sr. Frijoles, but remind them NO CURRY in the beans!

I can also vouch for Quiescence. Great operation.

as a key largo local, I have been on most of the dive boats here. I usually dive 3 times per week minimum, and my 1st choice is dive-in. they are absolutely the most accomodating operation here. capt joe will take you anywhere you want to go, and really caters to your experience level. the only downside is that its a six pack, and it fills quick.

am in Key Largo right now, have been diving the spiegal the last two days.
mostly with Blue Water Divers.

CPT Marvel runs a great trip. never had more then 5 people on the boat.

are Quiescence and Divers City USA.
Divers City USA recently moved a tad south but they still do the SG.
Both are excellent dive ops.

Thanks all for those who helped, Mike J. it's too bad you cannot join us on tuesday afternoon on Scuba-do, but will have to join up for some other dive soon when I get back.

I am now looking into some places for Marathon for Wednesday, I am open for anything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom