split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband just bought some scubapro split fins to see if would help his air consumption. He only got to make 2 dives with them but they seem to help. I don't need any help with air (I dived 70 minutes with a 60lb tank at 50 feet the other day with a current) but I am small and I'm thinking they might help me go faster! Anyway, I can't afford a new set, we just went to Hawaii and I had to buy a new regulator. I was wondering if anyone with some small fins wants to sell them?

now there's a rare bear! If you are located in Southern California, there may just be some available in the Los Angeles area. you might check http://www.diver.net (and go to the BBS) and look up a current thread on the split fins. That board is occupied by us rough and tumble lobster-hunters and sometimes degeneates into one big flame war but sometimes there are leads on decent used gear. All i know is, my graphites ain't for sale! I love 'em! they're fine in the surge and current as far as i'm concerned! Oh yes, did you check out diversdiscount.com? or ebay?

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new atomic split fins. My dive buddy has a pair of mares quantros and this is what I have as well and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
She however just purchased a pair of atomic split fins and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I am up against.
Should I invest in an underwater propulsion vehicle? Please let me know.
Jeff from the great lakes!

nope! don't invest in a scooter just yet! Wait & see how the two of you dive with respect to both speed, maneuvering, alternative kicks and air consumption. BTW, how'z the wrecks up there? Are you located in da UP by any chance?

Hey Mike.
No I am not from the u.p. but love to go there. We go walleye fishing there every year and I like to go and camp up there. It is a beautiful place just to go.
I dove yesterday in a quarry down in Ohio, and the fins for deb seemed to work wonderfully. She says she likes them better than her quantros. I dont see any real big difference. I guess I am not the one wearing them. She says she doesent have to kick as much and could really see a difference doing a surface swim. the quarry that we dive is from two feet deep at the entrance to 142 at its deepest site. The location of the pump house when it was in opperation. We swam out to the bouie marking this location and she beat me to the marker. under water I swam behind her just to see what these fins actually did and they dont really flex like I thought they would. They move like any fin would and twist some but nothing like I expected. I think I will stick with the ones that I have at least for now. Thanks for the info. Jeff Battle Creek Mi.(the home of Kelloggs and post cereals)

HEY MIKE I FORGOT TO ADD. THE WRECKS ARE AWSOME!

Hey all,

I just have to wade in on the split fin side here. I have been using Rocket fins since the early 70's and have ALWAYS had cramps by the end of the day. I have huge muscular thighs, and can usually leg press the limit of most any nautilus around! Still, I got the cramps! I got the black Scuba-pro, and now I can go all day AND night with no more cramps. The graphites were just TOO flimsy for my kick, and I did have to learn how to modify the power in my kick alot for the black ones. The first time out, my Dive Master Instructor grabbed me by the shoulder and asked where the @#@$@ fire was?

Pete from Orlando...

LOL, funny one Pete. Just out of curiosity, did the DM write that one down on a slate or is there a sign that I missed along the wat? :wink:

Hey Mario & All,

No we had actually completed our third dive of the day, and were snorkeling in on the surface. He was quite out of breath when he finally caught me. Apparently I had been leaving him in the silt all day long, and he finally burst. I am a careful diver, but I would kick a few times, look back for my buddy (him) and have to wait as he caught up. He has always out swum me to that point, so it was a surprise. I just thought he was holding back for the other slower divers, and never thought I was kicking just that more efficiently.

Pete from Orlando...

Beep-Beep... (as in the Road Runner...) sorry, just flashed back to childhood cartoons...

Biddiy-Biddiy thaaaat's all folks!

Back
Top Bottom