Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
**** This discussion was split from the "DIR answers required" thread in the DIR forum ****

catherine96821:
okay, thanks.

yes, I always know my MOD, so I guess I have a rough plan. I use golf pencils on fish tally sheets...what do you guys use on wet notes and where do you stash them? Oh...drysuit/pockets, never mind. I have zero pockets (unless I have my buddy's.) tell me again where you types stash the SMB? I think here they stash behind the backplate but that is not very easy if you are using it a lot.

My instructor is a big wrist slate fan for dive plans. I have a Dive Rite bellows pocket that I keep my wetnotes and larger flashlight in. I have a Dive Rite SMB with a sleeve that I bolted into my backplate.

Sorry, can't do shorts over a wetsuit...this is not a DIR answer so I will cease to post now. :D

edparris:
Would someone who uses a computer regularly explain their thought process to me? Do you start the descent and just keep a close eye on your NDL and SPG?

You dive an air-integrated Sunnto which tells you how much gas time you have left. It will also penalize the hell out of you if you spent any time at 100 feet.

Careful with that gun, Elmer..:D

redhatmama:
LOL

redhatmama:
You dive an air-integrated Sunnto which tells you how much gas time you have left. It will also penalize the hell out of you if you spent any time at 100 feet.

I've always used Suuntos and I dive profiles which I won't describe here (deep) but on multi level dives I find them not too much different than other computers. On deco dives I know they are more conservative and plan my dive accordingly. I like their conservative nature.

redhatmama:
I've never dived with anyone who rushed to the ascent line hoping they are not going to run out of air.
I just solve that problem by hauling around a lot of big ******* tanks :wink:

Thats a good point Red and they have a little computer in the back of their minds that can tell them what is safe most of the time because of experience. Not to say it's a good idea not to watch your gauges.

JeffG:
I just solve that problem by hauling around a lot of big ******* tanks :wink:

After you haul Jen's gear, will you haul my doubles? :D

redhatmama:
After you haul Jen's gear, will you haul my doubles? :D
sound like yours are going to be baby tanks so it shouldn't be a problem.

PerroneFord:
I'd tend to disagree with this for recreational dives. Carrying Nitrox 40 to 70ft, I can do about 90 minutes staying within NDL. My SAC rate isn't bad, but that's an AWFUL lot more gas than I can stuff in an AL80, in fact, more than I can stuff into 2 AL80s if I reserve gas for safety.

Well, I usually dive deeper than 70 feet on air or Nitrox 32. You would have to request Nitrox 40 and probably couldn't get it on a lot of boats. On a typical dive, I might dive to 120-130 feet on a wall and work my way by up doing multi-level riding the NDL. Or I might do that dive with a software-generated plan carrying a stage bottle. Either way, I'm diving a computer. Most deco planning these days is done with software, Perrone.

redhatmama, I know.. I use V-Planner. But that model dive on V-Planner says 209 cuft. That's not taking reserve gas for me or my buddy into account.

I did a 30 minute dive today at 70ft (EAN36) and know what I burned. I don't have any walls here to dive. Just springs and caves (not yet) and the gulf of mexico. Your training must be well ahead of mine as I won't be carrying a stage for some time.

I guess the computer is nice if you want to "ride the NDLs", but I tend to plan my dives as square. If they become multi-level, then so be it. But I don't change my deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom