Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
I'm going to take a course that has Advanced Nitrox and Extended Range combined. Not sure which agency but it's through the John Bennett school in the Philippines.
??? Usually it makes more sense to combine Adv Nitrox with Deco Procedures. Thats how I always see it advertised. (and to me makes the most logical sense.)

When I looked at the IANTD standards last year, I thought they wanted you to have deep air before you took Adv. Nitrox. I told my instructor there was no way I wanted to spend the money to take a deep air course. I think there is a way around it, but I'm not sure. I know this isn't a problem in GUE, but I was looking for a more mainstream soluton. I can't remember what TDI's standard was. Maybe it was NAUI that allowed a walk around.

JeffG:
??? Usually it makes more sense to combine Adv Nitrox with Deco Procedures. Thats how I always see it advertised. (and to me makes the most logical sense.)

I think that is included too Jeff. I'll check to make sure.

I didn't have time to finish Deco Procedures in Cozumel before we had to leave. It's a 2-week combined course here. I'm just taking Deco Procedures now. Jeff, is right. I looked it up. You don't have to take Extended Range with TDI.

Dennis, you'll love Advanced Nitrox: EAD = {1-FO2/.79)(D+33)} -33 Metric version, substitute 10 for 33. Then you can plan dives with the US Navy Tables.

redhatmama:
Jeff, is right. I looked it up.
Didn't trust me..did you? tsk tsk

Diver Dennis:
Thanks Red, I just wrote that down.

ha, ha. You'll have it in the book. The final exam is almost all formula stuff. Like What is the pressue or oxygen of EAN45 at 73 FSW? The dives were more fun. You'll learn how to sling a stage. I found the material rather dry.

Perrone: talk to an instructor...reading standards will only get you so far...I never took "deep air" and my iantd instructor had no issues...it´s not a black and white world...

redhatmama:
But, Jeff, Helium requires a lot of additional training from any agency. A GUE rec diver is pretty limited to dives above 100 feet. It would be such a PITA, too, particularly traveling.
The GUE RecTriox class is only 3 days. PreReq is a DIRf card. You can do it in a single or doubles.

Tech1 is 5 days. PreReq is a DIRf card and obviously it's doubles required.
Compared to TDI - this is the Adv Nitrox (to 100% O2), Normoxic Trimis, Deco Procedures and Gaz Mixing all rolled into one 5 day class. It's intense, but I found it well worth it!

Just 'cause you don't feel like you're narced doesn't mean you aren't.

If you are comfortable with this idea and with maintaining neutral buoyancy without losing control and can find someone who will do it with you, try this little experiment.....

Do a recreational level dive to around 100' with someone who's trimix certified and has a normoxic trimix in their tank(s). Poke around for a couple minutes so you're well-adjusted to the depth and don't think you're narced. Then have your buddy donate his/her long hose to you. Note the difference for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever. Now switch back. If you remember anything from that point, let us know how it went. You will likely never again be able to honestly tell anyone you're not narced at 100' :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom