Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
Ok...I just found this thread...

First of all I´ll just start out disagreeing with Diver0001...I don´t think it´s "european" to always limit yourself to "the weakest link in the chain" (no offence)...I´ve always seen that as an american thing (and perhaps EU-thing :wink: ) I find the whole "disclaimer culture" irritating and very "do as I say and not as I do"...

If someone asks a question, why not just answer what you do or think is the "best answer"?! Explain why you do it the way you do it and in what context and leave it at that...if you don´t believe the OP is capable of coming to a reasoned decision, then why are you posting at all? I assume the best of people until they prove otherwise, then I adjust...

Right or wrong I view the solo-forum as a kind of DMZ. It´s ok to be less than "dive-pc" here...

I understand why that can´t be the case in "basic scuba" and I don´t make the same assumptions there...

To me, that is the real value of the solo-forum (and other sub-forums like dir, hogarthian, single etc)...

I agree with this view and think the solo opt in should reflect a more tolerant climate than the open forums. The assumption should be made that you either approve, solo yourself, OR at the very least, do not obstruct the conversation with objections to the concept of solo diving itself.

catherine96821:
I agree with this view and think the solo opt in should reflect a more tolerant climate than the open forums. The assumption should be made that you either approve, solo yourself, OR at the very least, do not obstruct the conversation with objections to the concept of solo diving itself.

I do solo dive. I do not advocate it for others. I believe adults should have the freedom to make choices for themselves, even if I believe that choice to be stupid and will result in their injury or death. I do not believe that person, or their family, has a right to attempt to hold others responsible for their own stupid choices. If someone wants to dive solo, that is their right, but it's not the intelligent choice for most divers.

there´s a pretty big gap between not advocating it and telling people that solo-divers are strokes and are all going to die...the first is healthy and telling a poster that what they´re thinking about doing is stupid (wth sugarcoating and a rationale) and, IMO, a perfectly valid point to make, especially here...If that´s what you think about a suggested course of action I´d rather se more rationale and less sugarcoating but maybe thats just me...

Iam considering solo diving. However, I know my limitations and necessary equipment I would need. As for my limitations, I will only go to a certain depth. I would make sure I have the proper equipment to be self sufficient. I realize that you have to be totally responsible for yourself and my diving would be very conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom