Suggestion Splitting the BCD Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The BCD section has become consumed with discussion about BP/W's. It is to the point that you can't get advice on non BP/W questions there anymore. Any request for information about non-BP/W BCDs is met with 10 responses of "you should get a BP/W."

Most of the non-BP/W users have quit posting in that forum due to the beating that they take when they mention anything but a BP/W. While the BP/W may be a great option for some, the majority of divers out there are not in BP/W setups and still need advice there as well.

My suggestion is to split this forum.

How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs (Jacket/Back-inflate)
Backplates & Wings

That way posters interested in each could inquire and receive non combative discussions on each type of platform. I believe this would also bring more traditional BCD owners back to the forum for discussions who may otherwise be reluctant to post these days due to the current bias.

There is irony here! :D

Oh yes, there is irony here! :D

In attempting to diffuse a situation, I have done blowed it up. I thought only Andy was capable of doing that! :D

cerich:
It would be WAYYYYYYY boring in here if we all thought the same way...

I completely agree. I don't want anyone to agree with me, everyone should do what they want. But the overriding theme I take away from this thread is:
- Someone posted an idea that not alot of people have come out in support of
- Some of the people that do support the idea get upset because not enough people are agreeing with them, so:
- They start whining about how it is everyone elses fault for intimitading people, scaring them, sqaushing their voice, etc.

At this point I change my mind, I am now in favor of splitting the forums just so we can end this thread and I won't have to hear about it anymore :D
EDIT- yes, I admit I could just not read this thread, but I'm not that strong :)

Stephen Ash:
Lighten up, man. evad is just adding color.

Besides... it's little bunny foo foo!

Does he need you to crawl up behind me so he can push me over to? :rofl3:

Did either one of you see the laughing guy in my post or is it only OK if you guys joke?

Fine! I'll turn in my center patch and my key to the club house. :rofl3:

OK I've decided, No splitting of the forum! :D

Here's what I think is the biggest problem ... the technique and intent of the delivery.

If someone, a new member for example, posts a question about which BC is best, they're asking based on what theyv'e either seen themselves, or have heard of from someone else; help them within that context.

-

Some obvious reponses would be:

1) Which ones are you looking at, what type of diving are you wanting to do, what is your level of experience, and what are you looking for in a BC. Making the "suggestion" seem to come from experience, instead of prejudice.

2) I've always used this BC and it's great. Now, what was your size and gender again? Oh, your slightly different from me then.

3) I've heard bad things about this type of BC. Try this one instead. Sorry, did I mention which type to try? and why?

4) I always go Zeagle ... in fact, GO ZEAGLE GO! Now what were you asking again? I seemed to have blacked out momentarily.

5) Simple. BP/W. Only dipsticks dive otherwise. So are you gonna be a dipstick or not? hmmmmmm.....

-

You can guage a response by how attentive the one replying is to the needs and wants of the poster. The real question should be:

Are you buying this for you, or for one of us? If they say for themselves, then help them make the most informed decisions possible, giving them plenty of guidance and reasoning behind what's being said. Too often, each new poster, asking the same question, is merely being used as a "continuance" for an older discussion or argument ... something the new poster has no knowledge of (of should have).

It's like buying online or LDS ... let them choose what they want. If you don't like what their asking (within reason of course) and definately don't like their choice, then your the one with the problem, not them :)

Note: the YOU in the above is meant in a general term, and isn't specific to any particular post or poster.

Jasonmh:
I completely agree. I don't want anyone to agree with me, everyone should do what they want. But the overriding theme I take away from this thread is:
- Someone posted an idea that not alot of people have come out in support of
- Some of the people that do support the idea get upset because not enough people are agreeing with them, so:
- They start whining about how it is everyone elses fault for intimitading people, scaring them, sqaushing their voice, etc.

At this point I change my mind, I am now in favor of splitting the forums just so we can end this thread and I won't have to hear about it anymore :D
EDIT- yes, I admit I could just not read this thread, but I'm not that strong :)

I agree - its obvious that the silent majority wants the forum split - they have just simply been silenced:rofl3:

Thats why I threw in the wing about 50 posts back...I can't stay away either - it's been boring here ever since the dir forum became a no trolling zone anyway - I really do miss reading those "old" exciting posts. And now that Bennie Hill and the original Dr Who are both off tv - well ,this is the only real entertainment out there.... - that and reading many of Andy's posts:rofl3:

seriously - just split the forum and be done with it. whats a couple of mouse clicks anyway....

I'm suspicious...

... that there are some folks here that just don't like the message. They don't like how it's delivered... and they don't like how often they hear it.

Tiring of the frequent skirmishes, they plan a final battle to crush their opponent and stamp out all of this talk in one fell swoop... "separate forums... that'll do it!"

Mod Post.
OK guys...I just deleted a bunch of posts that all seemed to be to do with the same fight which got out of hand. I don't have a lot of time right now so I possibly have been a little heavy with the pruning shears - if you feel your post was deleted unfairly I apologize, I needed speed more than accuracy and there is no point actually continuing the argument of whether we are going to split the forum or not.
Basically...right now we're not. We ARE going to Moderate a little more forcefully from now to keep things on track, especially when there is a request from the OP not to stray from his/her question. There is something else that everyone can help with though. We have decided that a sticky in the forum which already explains the differences of a jacket style BCD/back inflate/ BOP/Wing and globally lists the most apparent pros and cons might be helpful as a start point for people to base their choices on when they think about what they want to buy. It will already remove the question of "Have you considered......", as anyone who has read the sticky will already know what the types of choices are. Then actual threads in the forum can be kept to specific discussions of particular models/brands etc without needing to get into some sort of religious crusade. With a view to that I will be making a sticky at first in the Mod room so that everyone can input what should be in it. I would welcome input suggestions from all of you as well. My own knowledge is no where near enough to be the sole writer in this, I will function more as an editor for this task.
It's time to cut the fight now and fix the problem. We have a HUGE number of people with a VAST total experience on SB. Let's put it to good use and come up with something that can seriously help with BC choices right from the get go. :wink:
Mod Post

I dive with a Knighthawk BCD, I love it. I have dived with many that dive the BP/W, they love them, what is the beef ? Just give constructive advice, don't make it a battle, all equipment has a place in diving, Air2, pony bottles, ankle weights, get over it people, everybody has all the rights to choose what gear suits there diving needs.
I actually love the "have you thought about a BP/W?" comment, it should be trade marked.

dlndavid:
I dive with a Knighthawk BCD, I love it. I have dived with many that dive the BP/W, they love them, what is the beef ? Just give constructive advice, don't make it a battle, all equipment has a place in diving, Air2, pony bottles, ankle weights, get over it people, everybody has all the rights to choose what gear suits there diving needs.
I actually love the "have you thought about a BP/W?" comment, it should be trade marked.
Not to get at you David (and I agree with what you just posted) but can we keep further comments in this thread specifically to my request for input for the sticky.

I would like helpful suggestions as to the pros and cons of the various alternatives - generally, NOT brand specific. I DON'T want any comparisons between them. The sticky will be designed to simply put a few basic facts out there. The comparisons will be left to people to make themselves, and to other threads where comparisons are the point of the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom