Spoiled brat needs help deciding on Caribbean diving spot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so I am not a brat, but the south pacific sure has spoiled me! This spring (May) we are headed to the Caribbean, I have been sifting thru years of dive magazines, referencing my dive books, and I am just floundering on making a decision. Could someone help me decide between a few spots I have narrowed down?

We want to stay in a sandy beachfront home w/pool, but the diving is the driving factor for all trips! We are not so interested in wreck diving, but really appreciate healthy beautiful reefs, love wall diving, and get excited to see large pelagics - but just as excited telling tales of little things from muck diving too. Current does not deter us; Good vis is important.

Here is the top of the list... Carriacou, Bequia, or Tobago (thinking maybe Dominica as well, but a friend recently was not impressed) - has anyone dove all these locations and able to provide comparisons? Any and all thoughts are welcome, please keep in mind it would be the month of May.

Thank you! :D

Yeah, stay away from Dominica so I can have it all to my self :D Really great diving there unless you just like to wait around for the big stuff.

Check out Little Cayman, it sounds like what you are describing.

My friend said he was disappointed in the vis in Dominica, and he did not think the underwater life was very abundant - maybe in Dominica depending on the time of year makes a difference. I am certainly open to Dominica; but the other three options appealed to me more. I have read great things about the diving in those three spots, so was hoping to get a little input from someone with first hand experience. We have been to the Caymans - so want something new. Thanks for your post!

Hi,
Have sailed past Carriacou 4 times but unable to dive there because it was too exposed and conditions would not permit it. Have dove in Bequia about 6 times and many other places in the Grenadines, but Bequia is the best bet in The Grenadines, Boulders is a fantastic site, not to miss. Devils Table and the Stratmann Tug can be dived together or separately. The former has lots of nooks and crannies with lots of lobsters, shrimp, octopus, etc. The Tug is a non penetration wreck surrounded by yellow head jawfish and garden eels. The viz is usually 75+' but currents can be tricky sometimes changing direction mid-dive. Coral and sponge coverage is very good for the Caribbean, obviously not like the South Pacific. We did a muck dive in about 25' of water hunting for a seahorse along the wall before Devil's Table starts and around the point, about an hour into the dive we found a seahorse and because there were just two of us diving off a dingy we were able to film it for 20 minutes. The seahorse was free-swimming and moving from sponge to sponge looking for food and eating.

I have a bias for Tobago because i really love the diversity of the site all around the island. There is a combination of both easy, intermediate and advanced dives. Many of the sites are difficult to get to and you should consider visiting Tobago in the summer or early fall when wind and wave conditions are at a minimum. On our last trip in December the viz at various dive sites around the island ranged from 15' - 100+ feet. We picked a day to try to do London Bridge (diving certain sites need to be prearranged) and unfortunately there were 10’ rollers with 4' chop, needless to say by the time we got there we had to change sites to Marble Island in St Giles because of the conditions. Two days later we dived on Angel Reef following a 40’ profile rather than the typical 60' profile, the viz was 100+ and we spotted yellow head jawfish, Brazilian Giraffe Garden Eels, an Octopus, a Seahorse, Ocean and Queen Triggerfish, tons of eels and a turtle. Turtles are common throughout Tobago. There are schools of Black Durgeon. If you want to see variety of hamlets Mt Irvine Extension had at 6 varieties of Hamlet in one dive. You are not into wrecks but The Maverick was cleaned out and intentionally sunk. It was the old ferry and it’s teaming with fish. Easy penetration and easy access into the lower decks, to the engine room and other compartments.

A lot of this stuff is on the video on our home page, the big wreck is The Maverick, the octopus is from Bequia , the big southern ray lives in Castera Bay in Tobago, the other footage is from other islands in the Grenadines like St. Vincent, Mayreau and Union Island.

If you go to Bequia we always dive with Dive Bequia, say hi to Cathy from corey and sal. If you pay for your dives online in advance you can save money.

If you go to Tobago Aquamarine Divers in Speyside is a good location to dive from. They are so close to all the Speyside dive sites that you do the intervals back at the dive shop. We have stayed at the Blue Water Inn which has both hotel and cottage accommodations. On the Crown Point side we always dive with Frontier Divers. It’s best to call rather than email them.

We run 3-7 day charters called Tobago Dive Safaris with a local captain and a PADI instructor who has 15 years experience diving Tobago. It’s a live aboard catamaran 3-4dives per day. The live aboard is the best way to dive in Tobago because you can get out to The Sisters and some of the more difficult to get to locations.

You said you wanted to stay in a land based building on the beach. In the Speyside area The Blue Waters Inn have cottages that are right on the beach.

If you want to stay on the Crown Point side and you are an RCI member you can exchange into Sandy Point Beach Club pretty easily during August and September. Frontier Divers is located on that property. Sandy Point Beach Club is a small complex but it is ocean front and very friendly and it usually gets a silver or gold rating from RCI.

If you are considering a live aboard we also run a one week live aboard catamaran operation from Bequia through The Grenadines south to The Tobago Cays and back. On that trip we generally do about 7-8 dives during the week but we load up with 2 or 3 dives on each Saturday in Bequia before and after boarding the yacht.

For accommodations in Bequia, The Gingerbread and The Frangipani are both water front and right next to Dive Bequia. We like the Bamboo Chute because it is small and has a lovely built in eternity pool and a terrific view of the bay. It is partially up the mountain but still walkable distance if you don’t have dive gear to lug.

Whether you choose Bequia or Tobago they are both terrific, have friendly people, are not overdeveloped, but difficult to get to. Tobago is easier because there is an international airport in Trinidad that is serviced by many US airlines and you just take a prop plane over.

With Bequia you fly either to Barbados or Grenada. If you do Grenada spend a couple of days and checkout the diving because it is very nice there too. You’ll have to fly to St. Vincent and then take the ferry to Bequia. You’ll probably have to overnight in St. Vincent depending upon your air travel scheduling. And if so there is some terrifically awesome critter diving with Bill Tewes at Dive St Vincent.

If you fly to Barbados rather than taking LIAT to St Vincent check out SVG Air for a direct flight to Bequia. If your party is large enough you can charter the whole plane and fly whenever you want and avoid all the airport hassle. But they do have regularly scheduled flights and the overall cost and time make the direct flight from Barbados a better deal. LIAT has weight restriction on luggage that are different than the international airlines so you will be paying fees for your dive gear and your carryon which greatly increase the price and they are not known as Leave-Island-Any-Time for no reason.

Hope you find this helpful. If you have other questions just me know.

Last edited:
Fantastic Information - Thank you so much! You have given me a lot to think about and consider. We did originally want a sailing/dive charter, but decided it was a touch over our budget - especially since we want to go for a couple weeks. (There are four of us.)

Can you tell me what time of year you passed by Carriacou? Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :D

Hi Where2,

Our passing Carriacou has always been between October and December. The dive sites there are not protected. We are on a catamaran sailboat and we don't sit around and wait we just head to the better dive sites in Tobago Cays and Bequia.

Not sure what your budget is but Tobago is below the hurricane belt and Bequia is right on the border. April and May is High Season while Sept or Oct, being the peak of the Hurricane Season, is Low Season in the Carib. Tobago and Bequia are both awesome in low season since it's really not crowded on land or on the water.

The difference is substantial, for example: in high season on our boat is $2812.00 pp all-inclusive, food, diving, and alcohol; while low season is only $2074.00 per person. Also air fare is usually cheaper during low season as well.

It’s also possible to do one week in each location and fly between the two countries; it just makes for a long travel day. If it turns out that you go with us we can we can sail Bequia to Tobago Cays and circumnavigate Tobago and return to Bequia in two weeks time.

It's too bad there aren't six of you because then you'd get a 15% off the entire amount, cabin and all-inclusive fee. Find some friends if you can and it'll only be $1763.00 per person low season or $2390.00 per person high season per week!!!

If you had 6 people, or were willing to pay $1000.00 a week for the empty cabin-which you could still use for your stuff- we could SailDive Bequia, The Grenadines (diving in Carricou if conditions permit) and all of Tobago on a custom itinerary in the two week time period. Depending on the dates we could either depart and return from Tobago or depart and return to Bequia.

That experience would bring you through the most beautiful part of the Caribbean. No matter how nice land accommodations are they cannot compare what you would experience sailing through Bequia The Grenadines and Tobago on a Cat for two weeks. This is a dream trip that few people ever get to experience.

When you price out your trip be sure to ask about the 15% VAT and the 10% service charge that is generally added on to everything (if i recall correctly) in these two countries. They don't always tell you about this in advance. Be sure to ask.

Best Fishes,
corey

Places like Dominica and St Lucia are beautiful dive locations for divers who appreciate the smaller things. People looking for the big mega-fauna would probably get frustrated and give them a negative report.

Ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers, but my opinion is that the best diving in the Caribbean is either Saba or Turks & Caicos (although I have never been to Little Cayman). A very experienced travelling diver friend of mine once said "Turks & Caicos is the only place in the Caribbean that compares to the Pacific", which might be a relevant observation.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

I have dove St. Lucia and absolutely love it there - the diving was good, the people and landscape, amazing! Beside price, we ultimately decided a liveaboard is not what we are looking for this trip - we are headed in the fall to PNG for a liveaboard and we will dive, dive, dive then. Thank you for the additional feedback and comments - it is much appreciated and I do hope to make it to Dominica one day.

So I bought our tickets today - we are headed to Bequia! and flying out of Grenada! 11 days are in Bequia at a lovely villa, and for an additional week we are going to make our way down the islands via ferry ending in Grenada. (where I hope to dive the sculpture park) I have booked a couple days of sailing - including an overnight to the Tobago Cays, so we will get our sailing fix too.

Thanks again for all the feedback, it did ultimately influence my decision. Looking forward to another fantastic trip, woohoo! :D

Where2Next,

Sounds like you're gonna have a marvelous trip! While you're in the Tobago Cays you might want to do some scuba diving. We've dived a number of nice sites there, would recommend The Purini (wreck) it's great as a night dive. Contact Glenroy on the radio and he'll pick you up right from your sailboat!

Have fun and lemme know how it goes. i'm especially interested to hear about the ferry rides all the way back to Grenada. We might want to try that one day...

Have fun!
corey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom