Sponge Death On East Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIVES4SHARKS

SHARK DIVA AI
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At our scuba club meeting, we learned from our NOAA representative that they are observing sponge death on the southeast Atlantic coast. These are the smaller sponges that look like bath sponges. Healthy, they are usally purple in color. As they start to die, they are losing their color and eventually turning white. If you observe this while diving off the coast, please notify NOAA. If possible try to document where and how many sponges you have seen dead or near dying. They are trying to figure out what is causing this and what the impact is at this point. If you see this on your dives please contact the regional NOAA branch and let them know.
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/directorate/phone.htm

Thank you to all divers!
Carolyn:sharks:

On a side note, LIONFISH are starting to invade Southern waters. If you are seeing this, again do a fish count and report this to NOAA also. Thanks!

On a side note, LIONFISH are starting to invade Southern waters. If you are seeing this, again do a fish count and report this to NOAA also. Thanks!

And if you're counting lionfish, or any fish for that matter, consider submitting your counts to REEF as well. They have an exotic species sighting program monitoring the introduction and spread of lionfish and other species cropping up in places they don't belong.

Thanks so much Oceana Diver! If there are any other links and places for me to report to I would be very grateful. I will pass that on to my scuba club too!

Thanks again!

Huh... I've never heard of a sponge mortality before. It would be interesting to get more information on this. Anybody have a species name, at least?

I will be talking with our NOAA people this weekend and I will get more details on the species. The thing to look for is the white color. They are wondering if this is a possible new disease or pollution related destruction. I will get more details soon.

Thanks!

Heck, might even be *bleaching*. We're finding more and more tropical sponges possessing algal symbionts every year.

A "tissue" smear might pick that out, if an invertebrate zoologist is lurking about.

The species is IRCINIA FELIX or "Stink Sponge".
Stinker Sponge, Ircinia felix<

DSC00750.jpg

I hope this information will help. When they start to die off they lose their color then become completely white.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom