"Sports drinks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To "hydrate" as we all like to say, I always have water handy. I would not worry at all about drinking any sports drink before or after a dive. I have no basis for my statement. I am a cola addict (with every meal--never drink it by itself). So before a dive and between 2 on a boat I have it with lunch). It's safer because I will not turn into a homicidal maniac and kill a buddy if I have my cola. I know it's not the best thing to drink before diving. But, I do have the water also.

Usually I just have a coke before departing and water during a dive. Last year I brought a sport drink along and drank it on the way out. I got nauseous and for one of the very very few times in my life (maybe 5 times total). I spewed over the side when we stopped. I then felt great the rest of the day. The sports drink was

PROPEL.

After propelling it over the side I felt much better. I will not touch a sports drink on the boat.

Usually I just have a coke before departing and water during a dive. Last year I brought a sport drink along and drank it on the way out. I got nauseous and for one of the very very few times in my life (maybe 5 times total). I spewed over the side when we stopped. I then felt great the rest of the day. The sports drink was

PROPEL.

After propelling it over the side I felt much better. I will not touch a sports drink on the boat.

I had a very similar experience a couple years ago involving a rush to get to a boat and a breakfast consisting of a bottle of Powerade I had laying around. Never again.

Sugar, yes. Salt, au contraire.

Not quite. If you're excercising vigorously, you actually need more salt than they put in those sports drinks. But if the manufacturers put enough salt in the drink to really replace the salts you lose through heavy perspiration, it'd taste brackish and people wouldn't buy it because of the crappy taste.

Thin lemonade or diluted soft drinks are just as useful as those sports drinks. And since quite few of us excercise long and hard enough to really need those carbs to fill up depleted glycogen stores, we would be better off by cutting out the sugar as well and drink plain, old-fashioned water.

BTW, a big glass of plain chocolate milk is a great "restitution" drink after excercise and a lot cheaper than those powder formulas. It's got water, carbs and high-quality protein in pretty nice proprtions...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

It depends heavily on your exertion and sweat rate; they try to put amounts of things that are a compromise between various competing requirements. None of the sports drinks really have enough potassium for high exertion levels.

And..most people have way too much sodium in their systems already......and the they don't get sodium "low" that easily. This is one of the reasons the Alacer product, Electro Mix feels so good to an athlete after an intense workout....and even more dramatically, if they are trying to get to sleep at night, and their nerves feel frazzled....the Electromix with it's blend of electrolytes without any sodium, makes the person relax, and whatever heart palpitations they have ( due to electro chemical imbalances effecting heart function)...disappear, and they wake up with muscles that have better recovery.

People exerting heavily in hot or hot and humid conditions, and replacing their losses with nothing but water, can get hyponatremic (low sodium). I have seen one severe case of it in 20 years of practicing in a very hot climate, and that man had been working hard outside for eight hours.

For most of us, replacing electrolytes on a day when we are not working very hard is simply unnecessary. However, it is possible that the salt in a sports drink MIGHT reduce one's urine output temporarily, and that might be useful for people who actually don't pee in their wetsuits. (I have not studied the comparative effects of the volume and salt in these drinks to know if that actually works.). Given the taste of the things, and the horrible amount of sugar in them, I'd opt for water or even soda, and a bag of potato chips, myself.

Back when I was coaching basketball, I took a course in nutrition for athletes at a local university. We covered sports drinks in class. We looked carefully at a study conducted by one of the world's leading sports physiologists. The purpose was to identify the best drink for athletes while they are competing. The study was sponsored by Gatorade, which back then had near monopoly status in this area. They obviously sponsored the study in anticipation that they would be pronounced the winner. That is not what happened, though.

According to the study, the concentration of salts in sweat is significantly less than the concentration of salts in the body. In other words, as salty as sweat is, when you perspire you are actually losing a much higher percentage of water than salts. As a result, the electrolyte concentration in your body has become tilted toward the salts--your problem is too much salt, not too little. The study concluded that the critical need at this point is to get more water into the body to restore the proper balance. Salts can be restored later. The study concluded that the best drink during athletic competition is water.

That was a while ago--a couple decades in fact. So what do people think today? I haven't read any recent studies, but our local television ran a public service ad for a while about a year ago on this topic. It said roughly the same thing. Drink water for short term athletic events, and use drinks containing electrolytes for long term activities (distance running, etc.). You can also read the link I posted above for recent thinking.

Ouch! i like the ingredients, but $90/30-pack?

The price has been around $9.00 for years....Alacer ran out of them about 3 months ago, along with the buy out by Phizer...
I think this $90 price is some company trying to exploit an unfortunate situation....Assuming they show up at all the Health food stores in early June as Alacer is saying on the phone...they will be back to around $9.00

---------- Post added May 18th, 2015 at 11:45 AM ----------

Back when I was coaching basketball, I took a course in nutrition for athletes at a local university. We covered sports drinks in class. We looked carefully at a study conducted by one of the world's leading sports physiologists. The purpose was to identify the best drink for athletes while they are competing. The study was sponsored by Gatorade, which back then had near monopoly status in this area. They obviously sponsored the study in anticipation that they would be pronounced the winner. That is not what happened, though.

According to the study, the concentration of salts in sweat is significantly less than the concentration of salts in the body. In other words, as salty as sweat is, when you perspire you are actually losing a much higher percentage of water than salts. As a result, the electrolyte concentration in your body has become tilted toward the salts--your problem is too much salt, not too little. The study concluded that the critical need at this point is to get more water into the body to restore the proper balance. Salts can be restored later. The study concluded that the best drink during athletic competition is water.

That was a while ago--a couple decades in fact. So what do people think today? I haven't read any recent studies, but our local television ran a public service ad for a while about a year ago on this topic. It said roughly the same thing. Drink water for short term athletic events, and use drinks containing electrolytes for long term activities (distance running, etc.). You can also read the link I posted above for recent thinking.
I have experimented with sports drinks with the competitive cycling I have been in since the 80's.
For a 25 mile time trial effort, one hour or less at anaerobic threshold....( most you can sustain for an hour)...Water works best.
For races at just under AT efforts, lasting up to 2 hours...I would say some minor benefit occurs if you have been using a very low concentration of electrolytes ( not sodium) with a small amount of protein and certain low sugar carbs....but in small quantity...this really only has an effect on the very final sprint in the race, after maybe 2500 calories have already been burned. Massive amounts of sweating have occurred, and 3 or 4 water bottles worth of water have been consumed, and the riders are still dehydrated at this point....This is so far beyond what divers could ever lose on a dive boat, it is silly.

In 100 mile rides, at paces of 23 mph to 25 or above with a group in a paceline....a good sports drink will make a large difference by the end...much less or zero cramping, and better explosive sprints at the end. Figure this is from huge exertions that last from 4 hours to 5 or more. Heart rates at 75 to 92% , though probably averaging closer 75 or 80% for the 4 or 5 hour duration--with some intervals where it can approach 90% for 4 to 10 minutes before the group slows down.
Hydra fuel by Twin lab was awsome for this....and not available for over 6 years now....H20 Overdrive was pretty good, but not widely available any more either....All of the main drinks are poor for racers...leading many to create their own mixes.

I once did a Cross florida tour ride with about 30 other racers.....this was in the 90's when we had Hydra fuel....I was averaging around 27 mph with a nice tail wind, and pulling most of the first 3 hours. My heart rate had been averaging at 165 to 170 bpm ( my Anaerobic threshold then was 192 and max HR was 205)....So with about an hour left, near Punta Gorda, I ran out of my own Hydra Fuel, and had to use Powerade at the sag stop.....Within 5 minutes, my Heart rate jumped up 20 beats to closer the 180's, and percieved exertion went through the roof--this was from the enormous insulin spike all the High fructose corn syrup in the Powerade caused....and the hypertonic mix of high sodium and other electrolytes, actually pulled water out of my muscle cells, and began making me cold...and less able to produce high power output.....This essentialy shut me down so that 20 mph was about the same effort as 27 had been before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom