"Sports drinks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you don't use clip on pedals, you are not really a cyclist....
Hmmm, OK. I guess these guys weren't really cyclists, then...

article-2162694-02ED4C260000044D-448_634x545.jpg
(Eddy Merckx)

CORVOS_00000389-038.jpg
(Bernard Hinault)

article-2162694-13BC7A0B000005DC-863_634x530.jpg
(Roger de Vlaeminck)

article-2162694-13BC9A96000005DC-73_634x450.jpg
(Freddy Maertens)

For all you Gatoraid and power aid freaks you may want to read this article THE BEST AND WORST ELECTROLYTE DRINKS
Sorry bud, but that article is full of nonsense and woo. There's some truth here and there, though, so I guess that even a blind chicken will sometimes find a grain.

One of the prime examples of scaremongering nonsense:
The artificial colors and flavors are derived from aromatic hydrocarbons from petrochemicals. In other words, oil. Manufacturers are not required to divulge this information because artificial colors and flavors are considered intellectual property. Some contain hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, hydrogenated coconut oil (fruit punch flavor), and brominated vegetable oil (orange, strawberry), a flame retardant that is banned in Japan and the European Union.

I'm not particularly surprised, though. The web address itself (paleoedge.com) was a giveaway...

Hmmm, OK. I guess these guys weren't really cyclists, then...

View attachment 209118
(Eddy Merckx)

View attachment 209119
(Bernard Hinault)

View attachment 209120
(Roger de Vlaeminck)

View attachment 209121
(Freddy Maertens)

I am lumping clip-ins together with bear traps...which I was happy to use on track bikes at the velodrome....
What I am "disparaging" :) is the use of "beach cruiser" style bikes with flat pedals that have no way to LOCK the sole of the shoe onto the pedal so that it can't slip off.....
Without the bear traps or clip ons, there is no way to properly pedal...no big deal for 7 mph riding.....when you go 20 to 30 mph, its a big deal :)
When you want the bike riding to massively benefit your Diving, it is a very big deal :)

What I am "disparaging" :) is the use of "beach cruiser" style bikes with flat pedals that have no way to LOCK the sole of the shoe onto the pedal so that it can't slip off.....
So, downhill MTBers aren't proper cyclists?
800px-MTB_downhill_12_Stevage.jpg

No, I'm not just shooting for a gotcha. You have demonstrated before that you have very strong opinions on very broad subjects, based on your somewhat more limited experience base. You're doing it again.

So, downhill MTBers aren't proper cyclists?
View attachment 209127

No, I'm not just shooting for a gotcha. You have demonstrated before that you have very strong opinions on very broad subjects, based on your somewhat more limited experience base. You're doing it again.
My limited experience base? As it happens, I have raced road, track, mountain bike Cross country...and have done some huge downhill runs on big hit bikes....with the flat pedals many downhill riders like...and with clip ons--which I will go with over the flat pedals....
Clearly you have issues against my postings......downhill bikers are hardly the poster children for any kind of pedalling....sure they pedal....but it is almost a different sport :)

So do you think you have a much broader experience base than I do.....that your dog is bigger than mine? :)
I'd love to hear how you figure you do, or that you can say this....

You can use arms diving--

I've never heard of swim fins. What is their purpose?

I never use my arms, never. I carry a camera for one thing.

Swim fins are used for swim workouts. People who swim laps and train will use them as well as hand paddles. They develop power and form. I do not use fins or paddles as much as I did as when I was actively participating in tris or younger swimming competitively. The fins designed for swim workouts are very small, kind of Duck Feet looking.

My paddles, one set of them, has a lead sheet bonded to them with rivets. They are used to condition my arms for open water racing. Unlike in the pool, the ocean has waves and a higher arm recovery is typical compared to competitive pool swimming events.

Sometimes, if I know I will being doing significant surface swims associated with beach/shore diving, I will workout using SCUBA fins, usually a full foot Mares (which split a year ago). I used to use FF Pros a lot for lap swimming to keep my legs in shape and then I stupidly sold them.

All of my bicycles including the one I use on rollers and the one on my fluid trainer, all of them, have clips. Power is applied full circle.

N

The World Health Organization (WHO) has an oral rehydration formula (water, sodium, glucose) that is very useful in maximizing hydration. It's primarily used to prevent the deaths of third-world children who have diarrheal diseases.

According to the WHO website:

"The discovery that sodium transport and glucose transport are coupled in the small intestine so that glucose accelerates absorption of solute and water (is) potentially the most important medical advance this century."

Here's a link to the page:
Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) - Rehydration Project

Sports drinks like Gatorade are very similar to the WHO oral rehydration formula if you dilute them 50:50 with water.

The recipe for the WHO oral rehydration formula is:
1 liter of water
6 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of table salt

I did the math a long time ago, but as I recall even with a 50:50 dilution of Gatorade there is still too much sugar in the mix, but it's not that far off. I would welcome having someone recheck my calculations.

Anecdotally, I find that dilute sports drinks quench my thirst better than plain water, and also prevent muscle cramps. So I drink up before and after all of my sports, including diving.

But that's my own experience. I have friends who have different experiences.

Nemrod, Thanks for the swim fins info. I would've thought these would mess up your technique, but you learn something every day. I only use my arms when diving if I am seriously cramping (heredity)--assume you don't have this problem.

Nemrod, Thanks for the swim fins info. I would've thought these would mess up your technique, but you learn something every day. I only use my arms when diving if I am seriously cramping (heredity)--assume you don't have this problem.

It's a balance game. Big ones would mess your technique if you overuse them, small ones won't pump up your muscles as much.

In any swimming style other than breastroke most of your propulsion comes from the arms so in a swim workout you would want to work arms. Or just because you get plenty of leg work with biking and fin swims etc. and you want to "balance out" the other end.

They also have a couple of versions of "oval" ones like these: Aqua Sphere Alpha Fins at SwimOutlet.com that work for frog kick as well as for flutter kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom