Sportsways SPG - still usable? serviceable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember:

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

Even though this uses absolute pressure and temperature, temperature is a factor, as is altitude with the capillary gauge. Somewhere I have an altitude correction table from a high altitude diving conference I attended in about 1975. Some people used to dive capillary gauges at altitude and in cold water because they read deeper than the actual depth, thereby becoming a safety factor. This was because the air at altitude is less dense, and compresses more as the diver descends; the air column when chilled also has a bit less volume, and therefore the gauge will read deeper than the actual depth. One of those divers who used these gauges for a safety factor was me.

Concerning the Sportsways SPG, I see no reason not to use it, but would check it against a digital computer to see if it is reading accurately. Even if it is not, it will be consistently off and if known, you can still use it.

SeaRat

PS--I found the Altitude Corrections Tables in my computer. Note that an oil-filled gauge will read shallow, whereas the capillary gauge will read deep. For instance, at 4000 feet (Clear Lake, in the Oregon Cascades), you need to add 4.7 feet to an oil-filled gauge, whereas the capillary gauge will read deeper and you need to multiply the depth reading by 0.887 to get the actual depth for the dive. If using tables, the difference in the oil-filled gauge's depth reading could cause a misreading of your decompression tables. Also, the "Theoretical Depth at Altitude," the Cross Tables, show that at an actual depth of 90 feet, the theoretical depth (because of pressure changes) that you should use when calculating decompression at 4000 feet is 104 feet. Add to this the oil-filled gauge reading shallow, and a diver could get into problems.

PS2--Here's an older photo from about 1973 of me in Clear Lake by Bruce Higgins, showing why we enjoy diving that lake.

Attachments

• Altitude Corrections001.jpg
    Altitude Corrections001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Clear Lake with Aquala001.jpg
    Clear Lake with Aquala001.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I just. Realized that one of. My recent videos featured the Sportsways SPG.

You can see that it worked quite well.

SeaRat

SeaRat

Glad you posted the video. It's the first I've seen your footage. Heartily enjoyed the filming, content and editing. Thanks for sharing.

Warm regards,
Cameron

Great video! I cleaned up the spool with some white vinegar and gave it a scrub with a toothbrush. I haven't replaced the o-rings, yet, but I think I'll try using it on a pool test dive and check for leakage. There's some oxidation on the head of the dial, seen in the pics. It's not causing any interference, so I should be GTG.

Great video! I cleaned up the spool with some white vinegar and gave it a scrub with a toothbrush. I haven't replaced the o-rings, yet, but I think I'll try using it on a pool test dive and check for leakage. There's some oxidation on the head of the dial, seen in the pics. It's not causing any interference, so I should be GTG.

I keep a bucket of water handy in my work room--it saves on trips to the swimming pool :)

SeaRat

Cool. It looks like the regulator pre-dates the SeaVue. Is that correct? That was the first SPG I ever saw.

Are those Duck Feet? They kinda look like Nemrod Venturis.

Cool. It looks like the regulator pre-dates the SeaVue. Is that correct? That was the first SPG I ever saw.

Are those Duck Feet? They kinda look like Nemrod Venturis.
Yes, those are original Swimaster Duck Feet fins, which are in almost like-new condition. They pre-date the acquisition by AMF Voit!

The regulator does pre-date the SPG, as it came out in 1960. It is the original Healthways Scubair tilt valve regulator.

The Sea-Vue gauge is the original SPG that Sportsways came out with. Below is a PDF file of the Sportsways advertisement for the Sea-Vue gauge. I don't have an exact date for it, but feel it was a couple of years after the Healthways Scubair regulator.

John

Attachments

• File0008.PDF
    212.3 KB · Views: 74
I particularly like the Sea Vue with the capillary depth gauge. I don't recall ever seeing one of those in person.

The fins seem to pre-date me too. I don't remember Swimaster and Voit being two different companies but I didn't start paying attention to dive gear until about 1965-66. Back then I had one Duck Foot that I found washed up on the beach at La Jolla plus an oval mask from a discount store (White Front) and a very carefully selected White Stag snorkel that I still dive with. I think the first "pair" of fins I owned were Sportsways 707s which were truly horrible.

Here's a picture of my USD SPG that I mentioned earlier in the thread. I have as much confidence in it as I have in any of my other SPGs and it seems to be completely accurate.

I'm guessing it was made not too long after the Sea Vues came out.

Attachments

• US Divers SPG.jpg
    US Divers SPG.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 57

Back
Top Bottom