Spot or Flood for Primary Light OR Both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually just went through this and based on forum feedback from someone in this thread, I bought a pair of floods and a pair of spots for my wife and I. I use the spots as my primary and only light during the day for looking under ledges, etc. (BTW, this is all tropical diving). For night diving, I use the flood as primary and the spot as my backup or when I want a spot. The spot is on my chest D-ring and push button away from being on and targeted at something.

I actually love the combo because the floods do not scare the crap outta everything at night and offer you plenty of light to see everything in the tropics. The floods are focused enough you are not shining in everyone's eyes (dunno where someone got that idea). It is really only slightly larger area then a spot, the difference is the light is even.

Frankly, with the wide lit up area and even light spread, my wife and I found everything and were constantly signally to other divers. Since the light is even, it is easy for your eyes to see things hiding - i.e. you don't have to deal with the light intensity pattern. Frankly, two floods is pretty awesome together. It was funny after one of the dives someone actually told me I was doing it wrong with a flood. I said, kindly, are you sure? I found 3 octopuses, 2 free swimming eels, a sleeping turtle, etc and none of those things changed behavior until everyone else showed up with spots. What did you find? He nodded in agreement.

If I had to do it again, I'd still get 2 floods and 2 spots. It gives me options to use a flood or spot as I want. My wife actually tried the spot as a primary for a dive but switched mid-dive.

Not sure floods are the right choice for a wreck (OP desire), but for tropical diving I think they worked out great.
Not sure your floods are typical floods, which have maybe 90-degree plus beam angles.

Back
Top Bottom