“Spot” The Splendid Toadfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
40B9E57E-F572-45A6-B213-BEA001836D66.jpeg
15 years diving Coz and we’ve never seen a Splendid displaying a radical color variation nor has our DM. No, that’s not a shadow on half his face. Has anyone else seen such a variation? Has anyone else seen “Spot” as we’ve named him?

At first I thought maybe he was sick or injured but the variation is bilateral carrying right down through the mouth and feelers on that side.

Maybe its a chimera.

I would not have noticed this. I will be looking for it and for spot from now on.

Maybe relevant, maybe not. We had a calico cat of decidedly mixed alley cat pedigree that was like a patch work quilt. In particular it had split down the spine color pattern like that. Each large patch was a standard color pattern you see on domestic cats. Could well be just a cobbled together set of genes in your splendid toadfish. Cool find.

Back
Top Bottom