Spotted sevengill cowsharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally had good enough conditions to take the 8mm FE for a test shoot this weekend. Not fantastic but good enough. I have never used this lens with strobes before, positioning is critical. Didn't get it 100% but I learned a lot ! Our waters are not crystal clear like the Bahamas, there are generally suspended particles in the water. Background is too dark and I need to get closer to the subject. Fortunately the dive site is only 1/2 an hour away so I can hopefully get in again this weekend.

Taken at 1/160 @ f4.0, ISO 250

These are Spotted sevengill cowsharks - Notorynchus cepedianus. They are very inquisitive and will easily come within arms length and do occasionally brush up against you. Often they will head straight towards you, making you give way. The sharks pictured here are around 2m in length, they can grow up to 3m. It is believed that they compete for food with juveniles of larger sharks like the Great white.

3539435479_b0ccbdc1d6.jpg

3540248906_6a8d0308ae.jpg

3539434079_5b9f68be27.jpg

3540248194_19152cc811.jpg

Great pics. Never seen one before. Do they just have one dorsal fin??..way back near it's tail?? Thanks for posting the pics.

Yup - that's right ! There are a few more pics on my Flickr - link below in my signature.

They share some looks with the Greenland shark. Are they slow moving and sluggish or dynamic in their appearance?

you have some very interesting photos in your album. I've never had the privilege of seeing some of the fish in your pics. Great shots and thanks for the education! Must be native to South Africa?? I've got to get away from Cozumel and travel the world more !! I'm missing some neat things.
thanks for sharing

Great shots

They are generally slow moving but I have seen them in a "faster" mode ! They are not endemic, I know that they occur in Australia as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom